Elon's Maker Hub-Downtown to host grand opening celebration
The maker hub, the university's second, features a new variety of tools for makers along with twice the space as Elon's first maker hub in Colonnades.
A celebration of Elon University's second makerspace — the new Maker Hub-Downtown — will be held on Oct. 19 from 4 to 6 p.m. featuring equipment demonstrations, giveaways, refreshments and more.
The Maker Hub-Downtown features twice as much space as the original makerspace that opened in Colonnades in 2015, with new equipment including 3D printers, a CNC router, a laser cutter/engraver, tools and vented soldering stations. Maker Hub-Downtown and Maker Hub-Colonnades are available for use by the Elon University community and can be used for building things for coursework, research or out-of-class engagement. Learn more about the Maker Hub: www.elon.edu/MakerHub.
The Maker Hub-Downtown is located on the third floor of the Elon Town Center, above Pandora’s Pies. The door is around the corner, facing College Ave. Take the elevator to the third floor and follow the signs.
Maker Hub: Week of Workshops
Thursday's Grand Opening celebration will be followed by a "Week of Workshops" with nine workshops held during a 10-day stretch to help the university community learn how to use the tools in the Maker Hub and to offer inspiration for projects.
- Introduction to Leatherworking: Create a Leather Journal - Oct. 20 from 3 to 5 p.m.
- Make Gadgets with Raspberry Pi and Pizza Pie (Part 1) - Oct. 22 from noon to 2 p.m.
- 3D Printing: Getting Started - Oct. 23 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- CNC Router: Basic Training and Safety - Oct. 24 from 3 to 5 p.m.
- Saws: Basic Training and Safety - Oct. 25 from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Laser Engraver: Basic Training and Safety - Oct. 26 from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Make a Zombie Head - Oct. 26 from 7 to 9 p.m. (Maker Hub – Colonnades)
- Mini-Golf in Belk Library (Partnership with Belk Library) - Oct. 27 from 8 to 10 p.m. (pre-registration not required)
- Make Gadgets with Raspberry Pi and Pizza Pie (Part 2) - Oct. 29 from noon to 2 p.m.
- Maker Education Lunch & Learn - Nov. 9 from 12:20 to 1:20 p.m. (more info)
Questions? Email Dan Reis (firstname.lastname@example.org), Senior Instructional Technologist in Teaching and Learning Technologies.