Pendulum, Phoenix14News honored at SPJ Region 2 conference
The Pendulum, Elon's student newspaper, and Phoenix14News, Elon's student newscast, were honored April 9 with Mark of Excellence Awards at the Society of Professional Journalists Region 2 competition in Norfolk, Va.
Region 2 awards were given in newspaper, TV, radio and online categories. Awards are given only to those who placed in the top three in the region. First-place winners at the regional level move on to the national competition, at which time they will compete with 11 other regional first-place finishers. Region 2 comprises North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Delaware. Below is the list of winners and where they placed in specific categories.
- Senior Robert Wohner placed first in the GENERAL COLUMN WRITING category for three columns he produced for The Pendulum. He will move on to the national competition. (Read his columns HERE, HERE and HERE.)
- Senior Lindsay Fendt placed second in the FEATURE PHOTOGRAPHY category for her photo of Phoenix men's soccer goalkeeper Clint Irwin.
- The Pendulum Staff placed second in the ONLINE SPORTS REPORTING category of it's Fall Sports 2010 Preview.
- The Pendulum Editorial Board placed second in the EDITORIAL WRITING category for three of its staff editorials. (Read the staff eds HERE, HERE and HERE.)
- Phoenix14News placed third in the BEST ALL-AROUND TELEVISION NEWSCAST category.
Colin Donohue, the coordinator of student media and Pendulum adviser, was in attendance to participate in the conference’s sessions and accept the awards. Elon University's School of Communications will host next year's SPJ Region 2 conference.