Elon named to presidential honor roll for service
Elon University has been recognized for the sixth year in a row as a national leader in service-learning and civic engagement.
The Corporation for National & Community Service named Elon University this week to the 2012 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for service efforts to America's communities. Elon is one of four colleges in North Carolina that were named to the Honor Roll "with distinction."
Launched in 2006, the Community Service Honor Roll is the highest federal recognition a school can achieve for its commitment to service-learning and civic engagement.
Elon coordinates its community service efforts through the Kernodle Center for Service Learning and Community Engagement. The Center partners with more than 80 local community agencies.
A total of 513 colleges and universities were recognized in the most recent Honor Roll. Of that total, 110 received the recognition of Honor Roll with Distinction, 14 were identified as finalists, and five received the Presidential Award, including N.C. State University.
Honorees for the President's Honor Roll were chosen based on a series of selection factors including scope and innovation of service projects, percentage of student participation in service activities, incentives for service, and the extent to which the school offers academic service-learning courses.
The Honor Roll is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service and is supported by the U.S. Departments of Education and Housing and Urban Development, Campus Compact, the American Council on Education, and other higher education associations.
Elon was one of three institutions recognized by President George W. Bush when the university received an inaugural Presidential Award in 2006.
The Corporation for National and Community Service is a federal agency that engages more 5 million Americans in service through its Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and Learn and Serve America programs, and leads President Obama's national call to service initiative, United We Serve.
Below are the North Carolina schools honored in the 2012 Honor Roll:
North Carolina State University
North Carolina Central University
Honor Roll Members with Distinction
1. Catawba College (Salisbury) non-member
2. Elizabeth City State University (Elizabeth City)
3. Elon University (Elon)
4. Mars Hill College (Mars Hill) non-member
North Carolina Honor Roll Members
1. Cabarrus College of Health Sciences (Concord) non-member
2. Campbell University (Buies Creek)
3. Davidson College (Davidson)
4. Duke University (Durham)
5. East Carolina University (Greenville)
6. Fayetteville State University (Fayetteville)
7. Gardner-Webb University (Boiling Springs)
8. Guilford College (Greensboro)
9. Johnson & Wales University (Charlotte) non-member
10. Johnson C. Smith University (Charlotte) non-member
11. Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory)
12. Mid-Atlantic Christian University (Elizabeth City) non-member
13. Pfeiffer University (Misenheimer)
14. St. Augustine’s College (Raleigh) non-member
15. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
16. University of North Carolina at Charlotte
17. University of North Carolina at Greensboro
18. University of North Carolina Pembroke
19. University of North Carolina Wilmington
20. Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem)
21. Warren Wilson College (Asheville)
22. Western Carolina University (Cullowhee)
23. Wingate University (Wingate) non-member