Number theory, undergraduate research
Dr. Awtrey joined Elon University in 2010 after completing his graduate work at Arizona State University. His main research interests lie in algebraic number theory, p-adic fields, and computational Galois theory.
A passionate proponent of undergraduate research, Dr. Awtrey regularly engages undergraduates in problems related to his research program, and he fosters a commitment in his students to disseminate their work through publications and national/regional presentations. From 2013-2015, his work in mentoring undergraduate research was supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation (#DMS-1148695) through the Center for Undergraduate Research in Mathematics. In recognition of his success in mentoring undergraduate research, Dr. Awtrey received the 2014 Early Career Mentoring Award from the Division of Mathematics and Computer Science within the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR).
A dedicated teacher-scholar, Dr. Awtrey received the Dean's Distinguished Teaching Award while at Arizona State in 2008, and he was chosen as a 2010 national Project NExT fellow. From 2012-2014, Dr. Awtrey's SoTL research on Writing to Learn and Writing in the Disciplines was supported by a generous grant through Elon University's Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning.
From 2014-2017, Dr. Awtrey will serve as councilor for both CUR and Pi Mu Epsilon (PME), the national mathematics honor society. In addition, he currently serves on the Scientific Committee for the UNC Greensboro Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference and as the Business Manager of the PME Journal.
Dr. Awtrey's Homepage.
Courses at Elon
* denotes a course I created
- MTH 110 General Statistics, F'10, S'14
- MTH 151 Calculus 1, F'10, F'11, S'12, S'13
- MTH 251 Calculus 2, S'11
- MTH 252 Multivariable Calculus, F'11
- MTH 330 Mathematical Reasoning, S'12, F'12, F'14
- MTH 371 *Mathematics of Secrets, W'12, W'15
- MTH 430 Abstract Algebra, S'13, S'14
- MTH 460 Senior Seminar, S'12, F'13
Courses at Arizona State
- MAT 117 College Algebra, F'04
- MAT 119 Finite Mathematics, Sp'05
- MAT 142 College Mathematics, Su'05, F'05, Su'06, Su'07, Su'08, F'08
- MAT 210 Brief Calculus, Sp'06, F'06, F'08
- MAT 265 Calculus for Engineers I, F'09
- MAT 267 Calculus for Engineeers III, Su'08, F'08, Su'09
- MAT 270 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I, Sp'07
- MAT 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II, F'07
- MAT 272 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III, Sp'08
- MAT 300 Mathematical Structures, Su'09, Sp'10
* denotes an undergraduate coauthor
- A linear resolvent for degree 14 polynomials, with E. Strosnider*, Topics from the 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, to appear
- Absolute resolvents and masses of irreducible quintic polynomials, with C. Shill*, Topics from the 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, to appear
- Degree 14 2-adic fields, with N. Miles*, J. Milstead, C. Shill*, and E. Strosnider*, Involve, to appear
- Galois groups of degree 12 2-adic fields with trivial automorphism group, with B. Barkley*, N. Miles*, C. Shill*, and E. Strosnider*, submitted
- Degree 12 2-adic fields with automorphism group of order 4, with B. Barkley*, N. Miles*, C. Shill*, and E. Strosnider*, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, to appear
- Resolvents, masses, and Galois groups of irreducible quartic polynomials, with B. Barkley*, M. McCraw*, and J. Guinn*, Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, 64, 609-618, 2014
- Galois groups of degree 12 2-adic fields with automorphism group of order 6 or 12, with C. Shill*, Topics from the 8th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, 64, 55-65, 2013
- Impossible geometric constructions: a calculus writing project, PRIMUS, 23, 141-149, 2013
- Dihedral p-adic fields of prime degree, with T. Edwards*, Int. J. Pure Appl. Math., 75, 185-194, 2012
- Masses, discriminants, and Galois groups of tame quartic and quintic extensions of local fields, Houston J. Math., 38, 397-404, 2012
- Dodecic 3-adic fields, Int. J. Number Theory, 8, 933-944, 2012
- On Galois groups of totally and tamely ramified sextic extensions of local fields, Int. J. Pure Appl. Math., 70, 855-863, 2011