I'm the coordinator of student media at Elon University. I'm also an instructor in the School of Communications, currently teaching the senior-level course Multimedia Journalism and previously having taught the introductory level writing course Media Writing. I work with all our student media groups in different capacities, but I directly advise The Pendulum. I have background as a newspaper sports reporter. I earned my undergraduate degree from Elon University and my master's degree from the University of Memphis. I'm a husband, son, brother, dog owner, teacher, adviser and (usually painfully) Washington Capitals fan.
M.A., Journalism (University of Memphis, 2005-2007)
B.A., Journalism with minors in French and political science (Elon University, 2001-2005)
Coordinator of Student Media, Elon University, Elon, N.C., June 2007-Current
- Advise directly The Pendulum, Elon's daily newsgathering organization that produces a daily online website, a newspaper and a general interest magazine.
- Teach Multimedia Journalism and have taught Media Writing in the School of Communications.
- Maintain the School of Communications website, as well as the School's social media outreach.
- Perform PR work for the School.
- Work with other student media organizations in different capacities.
Staff Reporter, The Memphis Commercial Appeal, Memphis, August 2005-May 2007
- Covered prep athletics, including stories for sports and features sections.
- Covered general news and features stories for zoned editions of the newspaper.
Correspondent, The Burlington Times-News, Burlington, N.C., June 2002-May 2005
- Covered NFL Carolina Panthers football, NHL Carolina Hurricanes hockey, prep athletics, general features/profiles, operated AGATE functions, copy editing and pagination.
Multimedia Journalism, Elon University, Elon, N.C. 2012-Current
Developed syllabus and overall course structure, administered grades, revamped direction of course, placed greater emphasis on students (all seniors) creating large-scale multimedia reporting projects for the public good that center on important news events. Students focus on:
- Producing full multimedia journalism reporting projects
- Learning the appropriate tools of technology
- Incorporating social media and multimedia effectively and appropriately
- Pitching story ideas and planning large-scale multimedia storytelling projects, both as individuals and in teams
- Analyzing successful multimedia journalism projects/packages to gain a clearer understanding of how journalism is practiced effectively today
- Completing workshops in and out of the classroom that enhance their skills in several areas, including building HTML/CSS pages, shooting video, exploring social media outlets, capturing audio, researching in databases, designing infographics and investigating successful SEO techniques
Media Writing, Elon University, Elon, N.C., 2007-2012
Developed syllabus and overall course structure, administered grades and added multimedia and social media aspects to this introductory level writing course. (Have also taught Communications Fellows section of Media Writing, which is for students with high levels of academic achievement.) Students focus on:
- Writing print, broadcast, online and PR style stories
- Producing hard copy and online portfolios of their work
- Taking photos with their assignments
- Completing studio rotations during the broadcast portion of the schedule, including on-camera experience, camera and teleprompter operation, directing and running sound and tape equipment
- Writing a minimum of 20 stories during the semester, all with strict deadlines of anywhere from seven hours to 70 minutes
- Using social media (primarily Twitter) to engage with course material outside the classroom
Elon 101, Elon University, Elon, N.C., 2012-Current
Developed syllabus and overall course structure, initiated practical discussions important to first-year students and welcomed an atmosphere of curiosity. Students focus on:
- Learning the basic fundamentals of Elon’s first-year core and general studies requirements
- Identifying campus resources to support their academic activities
- Evaluating opportunities for campus-related involvement
- Fostering productive and meaningful relationships with other students
- Expanding their academic and interpersonal skills
- Understanding the importance of balance within their school and personal lives
College Media Association, Programming Committee Member, 2011-Current
College Media Association, New Media Committee Chair, 2010-2011
North Carolina College Media Association, Awards Committee Chair, 2008-Current
North Carolina College Media Association, Steering Committee Member, 2008-Current
Book Review: “Baseball and the Media: How Fans Lose in Today’s Coverage of the Game” by George Castle for Newspaper Research Journal, 2007
“Careful Editing and Consistent Coaching: Bringing Credibility to You and Your News Product” -- North Carolina Scholastic Media Association Summer Workshop, Chapel Hill, N.C., 2013
“Perspectives on Religion in Instruction & Student Media” -- Panel presentation at Media & Religion Conference, Elon, N.C., 2013
“Effective Hybrid or Multi-Headed Hydra?” -- Co-Presentation at Thresholds to Learning, Elon Teaching and Learning Conference, Elon, N.C., 2011
“Starting a Professional Student Org Website” -- Co-Presentation at College Media Advisers Conference, New York, 2010
“Advanced Student Media Websites: Content, Marketing, Technology and Revenue” -- Co-Presentation at College Media Advisers Conference, New York, 2010
“Free Speech Privileges: History and Newspaper Coverage of Sedition Laws in America” -- North Carolina State CommUnion Conference, Raleigh, N.C., 2005
“Global’s Impact” -- Global Fusion Conference in St. Louis, 2004
HTML and CSS markup skills, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Dreamweaver), PageMaker, QuarkXPress, Microsoft Office and AGATE, various DSLR and video cameras, knowledge of Final Cut Pro and Avid
Honor Roll Adviser Award (Four-Year Newspaper), College Media Advisers, 2010
CMA Presidential Citation, 2010, 2011
Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year, University of Memphis, 2007
Kappa Tau Alpha Top Scholar, University of Memphis (4.0 GPA), 2007
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2004
Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Society, 2004
Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society, 2004