Dr. Hal Walker hails from Niagara Falls Canada and after moving to attend graduate school in 1982, he has lived in the US ever since. He is a newly minted American citizen (Spring 2013), but still a proud Canadian - eh! Professionally, Dr. Walker has held a variety of roles related to Sport Management spanning the past 30 years. Although his primary interests have always been centered on teaching and mentoring students, he remains actively involved in professional organizations, research, program development, and supporting and promoting the sport management profession. He does this by presenting at various conferences, serving on a variety of advisory, journal and editorial review boards, and as a Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) member, leading accreditation review teams promoting quality Sport Management programs . . . . . like Elon!
Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada: Honors Bachelor of Physical Education (1982)
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio: Masters Degree in Sport Management (1983)
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio: Ph.D. In Sport Psychology (1989)
* Campbell University (1985-1986), Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Head Women's Volleyball Coach
* University of Connecticut (1987-1993), Assistant Professor, Sport, Leisure and Exercise Sciences
* University of Connecticut (1991-1993), Associate Director, Waterbury Regional Campus
* Darton College (1993-1995), Division Chair, Associate Professor and Director of Athletics
* The United States Sports Academy (1995-1997), Associate Professor, Sport Management Chair and Dean
* Barry University (1997-2002), Associate Professor and Chair of Sport Management
* Elon University (2002-present), Associate Professor and Chair of Sport and Event Management
Event Management, Senior Seminar and Research Methods
* current president of The North Carolina Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance and Sport Management (NCAAHPERD-SM)
* Lead site team member for Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) visits
* Board Member, Burlington Convention & Visitors Bureau
* Board Member, Sagamore Publishing Company
* creating a validated instrument to look at patterns of student major career interests and then trying to link this to coursework value and corresponding skill perceptions of student majors by industry professionals
* looking at facility management functions and career development related to event management
* gearing up for a large fundraising effort (concessions) at the Men's and Women's US Opens in Pinehurst, June 9-16 (men), June 18-23 (women). THis will be the first ever, back to back opens on the same course (famed Pinehurst #2) in history!
Active member of several Journal Editorial Review Boards, and current Editor of the NCAAHPERD-SM Journal
Married to Christine (35 years), Behavioral Health Intake Specialist at Alamance Regional Medical Center with two daughters, Lisa & Erika. Lisa is a Point Of Sale Manager for Showtime Networks in Atlanta, GA and Erika is an Account Manager for IT Sales for The Intersect Group, also in Atlanta GA. Lisa and Erika are both proud Elon Alums: Lisa ('07), and Erika ('12).
Sport Management curriculum development and assessment
Experiential activities in sport management