Calls for Submissions for NC History Award for Undergraduate Research
The Hugh T. Lefler Undergraduate Award This award is given annually by the Historical Society of North Carolina for the best research paper on North Carolina history by an undergraduate student from an accredited senior North Carolina college or university during the academic year June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015.
The Hugh T. Lefler Undergraduate Award
This award is given annually by the Historical Society of North Carolina for the best research paper on North Carolina history by an undergraduate student from an accredited senior North Carolina college or university during the academic year June 1 2014 to May 31, 2015.
The purposes of the award are:
- To promote an early interest in historical research and the development of future historians; and
- To acquaint young people with the work of historical societies and foster membership and continued support of local and state historical societies.
The award shall consist of $200 in cash and a paid student membership in the North
Carolina Literary and Historical Association for one year, together with a suitable certificate bearing the name of the person receiving the award, the title of the paper for which the award was given, the date of the award, and signed by the President and Secretary of the Society. The award shall be presented at the annual meeting of the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, at which time the recipient shall be the guest of the Historical Society at the luncheon and dinner meeting of the Association.
- Each paper must be submitted via emailed Word file version by August 15, 2015, to Dr. Mike Sistrom, Secretary Historical Society of North Carolina: firstname.lastname@example.org. 336-272-7102 x306.
- Each paper must be accompanied by a letter from the student’s major professor attesting to the undergraduate status of the student and the originality of the paper, , .
- If the project is something other than a research paper, such as a website, the student/s must provide a bibliography and a brief summary of the research/project process.
- Each project should be approximately 5,000 words , or equivalent substance for a web project, and shall be judged on the basis of (a) originality of topic; (b) quality of research; (c) quality of work; and (d) overall excellence. .
- Graduate student work is not eligible for the Lefler Award.