Student Government Association Organization Awards and Inauguration Ceremony
The Student Government Association held its 21st annual Organization Awards and Inauguration Ceremony on Tuesday, March 29 in McKinnon Hall.
The Student Government Association held its 21st annual Organization Awards and Inauguration Ceremony on Tuesday, March 29 in McKinnon Hall. Approximately 140 students, faculty and staff attended the event.
Outgoing Student Body President Avery Steadman paid special tribute to Janice Ratliff, program assistant to Student Health and Wellness and SGA. Ratliff, who is retiring May 31, has served as an adviser and mentor to many students over the past 30 years, especially as a key adviser and support to the Black Cultural Society (Now Black Student Union), the Gospel Choir and Elon’s Finest. Ratliff has also served as the clerical support staff person for SGA for over 10 years. In recognition of her contributions to the life of students on campus, the SGA Senate voted unanimously to name one of the OAIC awards The Janice J. Ratliff Award for Organization Member of the Year. This year’s recipient was Amanda Schoenfelt, nominated by Elon Volunteers.
The OAIC also marks the symbolic transition of SGA officers. Avery Steadman gave a farewell speech and gave the oath of office to the newly elected SGA Executive officers:
Kyle Porro, SGA Executive President
Mark McGann, SGA Executive Vice-President
Eason Warren, SGA Executive Treasurer
Alex Hunter, SGA Executive Secretary
Incoming President Kyle Porro also addressed the group.
The OAIC presents the opportunity for SGA to recognize the dedication and hard work of student organizations and university programs. The OAIC also serves to recognize individual student leaders and faculty/staff members for exemplary service to their organization and the university community.
The 2016 OAIC Award recipients were:
- Rev. Richard McBride Campus and Greater Community Involvement Award- Beta Alpha Psi
- Student Organization of the Year Under 30 – Safe Rides
- Student Organization of the Year Over 30 – Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Highest Student Organization GPA - Alpha Xi Delta
- University Program of the Year – Eco-Reps
- Student Organization/Program Committee of the Year – PRSSA Executive Board
- Barbara H. Carlton Outstanding Advisor of the Year – Stacey Rusterholz , Elon Volunteers
- Gerald Francis Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year – Dr. L.D. Russell
- Brian O’Shea Outstanding Service to Students Award –Tom Flood , nominated by Colleges Against Cancer
- Janice J. Ratliff Award for Student Organization Member of the Year – Amanda Shoenfelt- Elon Volunteers
- Student Organization Officer of the Year – Caroline Blanchard- SUB
- Student Organization Newcomer of the Year – Colton Cadarette- SUB
- Dr. Earl Danieley Leadership Award -Noah Sakin and Felicia Cenca