Elon launches Black History Month website
Elon has launched a new Black History Month website to promote awareness, understanding and celebration of Black experiences on campus.
The site features a frequently updated page of events planned for the month, links to relevant social media and a history of Black History Month, as well as videos from members of the Elon community.
The Black History Month steering committee will lead the campus community in its efforts to recognize and celebrate Black achievement at Elon. The committee has worked throughout the fall semester to organize and cosponsor a series of diverse events with broad appeal. The campus community is invited to enjoy the events planned for the months preceding and following the February series and share their own reflections.
The theme for 2012 is “Black History is Everyone’s History.” The committee is encouraging departments, programs, groups and organizations on campus to plan events that further enrich the appreciation of Black intellectual and cultural life. The Black History Month steering committee will act as the clearinghouse by helping to promote those events via its website, Facebook and Twitter pages. Send details of your event to Kimberly Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they become available.
The 2012 Black History Month Steering Committee includes:
- Robert (“Bobby”) Dunlap, Assistant Director, Student Activities
- Kimberly Edwards, Black History Month Student Coordinator
- Eden Esters, Assistant Director of Greek Life
- Michelle Ferrier, Associate Professor, School of Communications
- Sharon Gaskin, Associate Dean of Admissions, Elon University School of Law
- Melissa Jordan, Assistant Director, the Multicultural Center
- Prudence Layne, Associate Professor, Department of English and Coordinator, African and African-American Studies
- Ethan Moore, Coordinator of University Art Collection & Instructor - General Studies
- Keyona Osborne, Student who initiated the formation of this committee and its work
- Faith Shearer, Associate Athletics Director and Senior Woman Administrator Danyelle Simmons ‘14, President, Black Cultural Society
- Phil Smith, Associate Chaplain and Director of Religious Life
- Durice White, Coordinator, Affinity Programs (University Relations/Alumni Office)
- Leon Williams, Director, the Multicultural Center
- Michael Williams, Director of Campus Center Operations and Conferences
- Jamane Yeager, Reference/Electronic Access Librarian