SIE, Department of Management host spring management conference
Elon’s chapter of Sigma Iota Epsilon and the Martha and Spencer Love School of Business Department of Management hosted a professional development conference for business students on March 31.
Themed “Manage Your Future,” the conference included the following sessions:
• What is your ideal job and how do you get there?
• Resume review
• What extracurricular activities really matter for your resume?
• Social networks - Set up your LinkedIn strategy
• The art of negotiation: Getting the most out of your job contract
• Taking advantage of your first 100 days on the job
• A manager’s perspective on social responsibility
Participating speakers included:
• Ian Baltutis ‘08, co-owner, The Vibration Solution, LLC
• Marty Blevins G’11, learning and organizational development professional, LabCorp
• Marianne Brigola, Career Fellow at Elon University
• Jane Mehringer, associate director of career services, LSB, Elon University
• Jessica Siege, lecturer of organizational behavior, UNC-Chapel Hill
• Joe Villani P’13, USS Chief Engineer, Lockheed Martin.
• Amanda Zamzes ’08 G’14, program assistant, University Advancement, Elon University
The conference also featured a case competition facilitated by Amy Moorman, senior lecturer of business law, as well as a networking luncheon and panel discussion.
“The speakers were relevant, knowledgeable and had real-world experience,” said attendee David Krohe ‘12. “The line of questions about ‘Managing Your Future’ helped prepare me for some of the activities and ways of thinking/acting I should be implementing in the near future.”
Sigma Iota Epsilon (SIE) students organized the event to help their peers prepare for life after graduation.
“I enjoyed being able to use the skills my professors taught in the classroom to allow my peers to further their education in a voluntary setting,” said chapter president Kelly Smith ’14, who helped plan the conference. “I believe that the success we achieved in this inaugural year for the conference is a direct reflection of the Elon teaching on properly leading and managing a group of people towards a common goal.”
SIE is the premiere fraternal organization in management in the U.S. Individuals elected to membership demonstrate superior scholarship in the classroom. Elon’s chapter was established Fall 2011.