Art Cassill named Outstanding Educator of the Year
Art Cassill, the Wesley R. Elingburg Professor of Accounting, has been named the 2012 Outstanding Educator of the Year by the NCACPA.
Art Cassill, the Wesley R. Elingburg Professor of Accounting, has been named the 2012 Outstanding Educator of the Year by the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants.
The award recognizes a member’s outstanding performance and contributions to the field of accounting education. According to the NCACPA, contributions include:
• Innovative teaching that informs and inspires students
• Exceptional accomplishment in research and scholarly pursuits
• Contributions to the accounting profession through active involvement in professional organizations
• Developing and sharing exceptional skill and knowledge in the discipline
• Contributions to the community through service in civic and charitable organizations
• Generous commitment of time and energy to student advising and mentoring.
The NCACPA will recognize Cassill for this achievement at its annual business meeting on May 1 in Greensboro, N.C.
Cassill joined the Martha and Spencer Love School of Business at Elon University in 2002. He served as chair of the Department of Accounting and Finance for seven years and received the school’s first Wesley R. Elingburg professorship in 2008.
Prior to Elon, Cassill was an associate professor and director of the Master’s of Science in Accounting program at UNC-Greensboro, an assistant professor at North Texas State University, a professor of accounting at Mount Olive College, and an accounting instructor at the University of Cincinnati Clermont College. His professional experience includes working for Baldwin Hodges, LLP, Barton Baldwin, and The Provident Bank in Ohio.
Cassill received a Ph.D. in business administration with an accounting concentration and a master’s degree in accounting taxation from the University of Tennessee, and an M.B.A. with a finance concentration and a bachelor’s degree in business education with an accounting emphasis from Eastern Kentucky University.
He is a Certified Public Accountant in Ohio and North Carolina.