SPDC reports early success for 2012 graduates
The Student Professional Development Center finds Elon’s newest alumni have gotten off to a strong start with their post-graduation plans.
With 83 percent of the Class of 2012 having responded to a survey from the Student Professional Development Center:
· 71% of all respondents are employed, have been accepted to graduate/professional school, are completing a post-graduate internship/fellowship, are working for a service organization (e.g., Peace Corps, Teach For America), or report voluntary taking time off.
· 47% are employed. By comparison, only 32% of 2010 graduates and 41% of 2011 graduates at this same time reported having secured employment. This is also the highest percentage of exiting seniors reporting employment at time of graduation since 2006.
· 40% report having been accepted to graduate or professional school.
· 85% of those reporting employment indicate that their position “is related to my career objective.” By comparison, 70% indicated this for the class of 2011 at time of graduation.
· The median starting salary is $40,000.
· 90% of all respondents reported having utilized career services while at Elon. By comparison, according to the National Association of College and Employers (NACE), 76% of 2012 graduates reported utilization of their respective career services office.
Arts and Sciences Students well-represented in Top Graduate School Programs
Graduates with majors from the Elon College of Arts and Sciences are once again finding themselves being accepted to a wide variety of master’s, specialist, and doctoral programs at top graduate schools across the nation. Some examples include – Penn, Johns Hopkins, Brown, Columbia, William and Mary, Notre Dame, Emory, George Washington, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, Brandeis, Case Western Reserve, Boston University, Duke, Pitt, UCLA, University of Texas at Austin, Virginia, Washington University in St. Louis, Middlebury College, Ohio State, Connecticut, Tulane.
Many Elon Graduates Find Job Market to Their Liking
While the overall employment picture continues to be unsettling for many job seekers, Elon’s class of 2012 are finding themselves prepared to compete and succeed for the positions they seek. Among the diverse employers hiring Elon students thus far this year are:
Ernst & Young
Fleishman-Hillard International Communications
Deloitte & Touche
ADP (Automatic Data Processing, Inc.)
The Nielsen Company
The Select Group Red Ventures
NY Giants (NFL)
Bank of America
Turner Broadcasting System
U.S. Marine Corps
Alamance-Burlington School District
Boston Private Bank & Trust Co.
PNC Financial Services Group
Jefferson County Public Schools
Detroit Lions (NFL)
Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.
E&J Gallo Winery
Teach For America
Prince George County Public Schools
Carolina Wetland Services
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Duke University Medical Center