SGA using jerseys to build school spirit
The Elon University Student Government Association has started a contest that offers authentic Elon athletic jerseys to students who want to show their school pride on campus and beyond.
By Erin Turner '15
After the Elon men’s basketball team won a thrilling Feb. 8 game with a buzzer-beating shot, Phoenix pride is at its peak. That’s welcome news to the Student Government Association, which has been working since the fall to create new initiatives that will help boost and sustain school spirit on Elon’s campus.
One of SGA’s latest endeavors, “What would you do with your jersey?”, gives students the chance to receive a vintage jersey that has been previously worn by an Elon athlete. SGA acquired the jerseys through a partnership with Elon Athletics.
For students to receive their own vintage Elon jersey, they must:
- Fill out a short form located on the Elon University Student Government Association web page. Students are encouraged to be creative with their responses. SGA members will vote and get in contact with the students who are judged to have the best submissions.
- Pick up a jersey from the SGA office once an SGA representative has contacted them.
- Take a picture with the jersey that shows how they are promoting Phoenix pride.
- Send the photo to SGA@elon.edu with their name and “Elon Jersey” in the subject line.
- Tweet a picture to SGA’s account by mentioning the handle @ElonSGA or upload the picture to the SGA Facebook page. Include the hashtag #ElonJersey.
“Forms are reviewed on a rolling basis and it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for an SGA representative to get in contact with the participant to pick up their jersey,” said senior Lauren Reiman, SGA executive secretary. “It makes me really proud when I see students walking around campus with the jerseys that they’ve won.”
Heather Harder, public relations chair for SGA, says the organization has already given away 35 jerseys to students dedicated to increasing school spirit.
“It would be great to start a new tradition off of this initiative,” she said, “where students wear their new jerseys to athletic events and then pass it down to another student before graduating.”
SGA holds general body meetings every Thursday at 7:30 in Moseley 215 and all students are encouraged to attend.