Plan for Your Career
Before beginning your career search, be sure to do your research. One part of a successful career plan is to implement a job search or graduate school plan. Here is a 10-step process for job hunting.
- Have a talk with yourself. Where do you want to be? What qualities do you have? What kind of atmosphere works best for you?
- Internship. Make sure you have one.
- Cover letter. Should be one page, creative and error-free. Use the name of the recruiter.
- Resume. It’s time to sell yourself. List your skills, work experience, awards, etc.
- Work samples. Send a variety that let your employer know what you can do.
- References. Include names, titles and phone numbers for three references who know your work. Former employers are best.
- Research. Learn what you can about the communications organization where you’ll interview.
- Interview. Dress well. Bring several sets of the same or additional work samples. Bring your resume. Ask questions. Get the employer's e-mail address or phone number before you leave.
- Thank you. Send a thank-you note within 48 hours of the interview. Briefly review your skills and touch upon something the recruiter said in the interview.
- Learn from experience. If you don’t get the job, still thank the employer and ask what you can do to better your chances. Consider reapplying to the organization later.
For more information, visit the Career Services website.
Create an account with the Elon Job Network to search for internship and job opportunities.
The School of Communications has provided a career resource list that is broken down by major for you to peruse that includes links to websites for jobs, professional associations and other resources.
Cinema and Television Arts Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)
Communication Design Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)
Journalism Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)
Media Analytics Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)
Sport and Event Management Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)
Strategic Communications Resource List (PDF; updated 2016)