Global Photo Contest
Do you have compelling photos from your Study Abroad, Study USA or other global experience? Ready to win cool prizes? Submit an entry to the Global Photo Contest!
Submissions will be accepted from Friday, April 1 until 5 PM on Friday, April 15. Voting will be open from 9 AM on Monday, April 18 until 5 PM on Friday, April 22. Please read the official rules and submission guidelines below before submitting your entry.
Submitting a PhotoPhoto Submission GuidelinesVoting & WinningPrizes
Submitting a Photo
Photos will be divided into three categories:
- Worth a Thousand Words: Natural landscapes or urban scenes that tell a powerful story.
- In Doing We Learn: Elon faculty, staff, and students engaging with the cultures of the local communities.
- America the Beautiful: Photos of global engagement and encountering difference within the United States.
All photos submitted by students will automatically be nominated for the Global Education Center (GEC) Staff's Choice award. For more information on this, please see the 'Voting & Winning' section.
When submitting a photo, please be sure to include the following information:
Your class year (if student) or job title (if faculty/staff)
Location of photo (city/country)
Preferred category (Worth a Thousand Words, In Doing We Learn, America the Beautiful)
A brief description or caption (25 words or less)
Please note that submissions lacking the preceding information will not be included in the contest.
To enter, please e-mail a high-resolution photo, in .jpg or .png format, to email@example.com along with the preceding information.
Submissions will not be accepted after 5 PM on Friday, April 15.
Photo Submission Guidelines
Submissions are limited to one per person per category. In other words, you may submit one photo for 'Worth A Thousand Words' and one photo for 'In Doing We Learn', but not two for 'Worth A Thousand Words.'
The contest accepts photos taken both abroad and in the United States.
The photo contest will be open to all Elon students, faculty, and staff. Global Education Center (GEC) staff are not eligible to win but are still encouraged to submit photos. Elon faculty and staff are not eligible to win grand prizes but can win category prizes.
- Contestants cannot submit photos they have already submitted to this photo contest previously.
Please use good judgement when submitting photos. Successful photos will show compelling scenes, encounters with difference, and engaged learning regardless of location. It is not necessary for the photo to have been taken on an Elon-affiliated Study Abroad or Study USA experience; submissions from personal experiences abroad and in the U.S. are welcome. However, there must be something compelling about the photo. For instance, Australians celebrating Australia Day at the beach is compelling; friends relaxing at the beach over spring break is not. GEC Staff reserve the right to accept and reject photos as necessary.
- Submissions deemed inappropriate will not be allowed to enter the contest. If you have any questions about whether your photo is appropriate, please contact the GEC by calling 336-278-6700 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Examples of inappropriate submissions include but are not limited to photos depicting dangerous behavior, the use of drugs, or excessive use of alcohol.
- You must have the right to distribute and take credit for photos you submit.
- GEC staff will make the final determination on photo category.
By submitting a photo to the contest you agree that the GEC can post the photo on Facebook and use the photo in promotional materials or for other purposes.
By submitting a photo you agree to be bound to the preceding guidlines.
Voting & Winning
Voting will be open from 9 AM on Monday, April 18 until 5 PM on Friday, April 22.
Voting will take place through the Global Education Center Facebook page (www.facebook.com/elonglobal).
To vote, simply 'like' the photo.
One person may vote for as many photos as they like, but may not vote for a photo more than once.
The photo in each category that receives the most 'likes' will be the category winner; the student-submitted photo with the most votes will be the overall winner. Faculty and staff submissions are not eligible for grand prizes.
- Contestants cannot win more than one division. If a contestant wins more than one division (overall winner, GEC staff pick, or any category winners), he/she will win the more significant prize. In other words, if a contestant receives the most overall likes, he/she will win overall winner rather than category winner. The photo with the second most likes in that category will win that category, then. In the event that the same contestant receives the most likes in more than one category, that contestant will win the category prize for the photo that receives more likes.
- Winners will be notified via e-mail and announced on the GEC website.
Global Education Center Staff's Choice
The GEC staff nominates and votes upon photos internally to select the photo the tells the most compelling story from the perspective of experiential and international educators.
Overall Winner: $350 voucher on the airline of your choice, courtesy of Aladdin Travel.
GEC Staff Choice Winner: GoPro Camera.
Category Winners to be announced.