Mentor: Maurice Levesque
Project title: The Effects of Body Image on Social Interactions with Peers: A Diary Study of College Men and Women
• Completed analysis of collected data in SPSS and HLM systems.
• Completed Thesis Manuscript, defended Thesis Manuscript, passed Thesis Defense, and submitted Thesis Manuscript to the Elon Library for publication.
• Completed Love Your Body Month, handing out thousands of “love your body” pins, implementing an “Operation Beautiful” campaign on campus, holding a cultural event at which Ophira Edut spoke, and having hundreds of students write what they love about their bodies on mirrors around campus.
• Presented at SURF, NCUR and the Eastern Psychological Association Conferences.
• Used research in an interview with Fox 8 on “drunkorexia,” the phenomenon where people restrict calories before drinking.
• Began pairing down thesis for publication in the Body Image Journal.
Dr. Ann J. Cahill
Professor of Philosophy
Spence Pavilion 111
2340 Campus Box
Elon, NC 27244
Phone: (336) 278-5703
Omolayo Ojo is competing for a highly competitive national fellowship awarded each year to those with goals of working in public service or government. Winners will be announced in April.
Victoria Del Gaizo Moore, assistant professor of chemistry, and Karl Sienerth, professor of chemistry, along with Mary Bedard '12 (Biochemistry) and Kelly Giffear '12 (Biochemistry) had a research article accepted to the journal Biophysical Chemistry.
The political science and international studies double major is a Lumen Scholar studying the evolution of LGBT rights in parts of Europe.
Elon University students in a Winter Term "Burst the Bubble" course welcomed local children and their parents to campus in late January for activities that exposed youth to the academic and career possibilities of programming and software design.
Elon University senior Leigh Iler developed strategies for a middle school tutoring program as she studied an emerging technique for deciding whether students require special education.