Mentor: Maurice Levesque
Project title: The Effects of Body Image on Social Interactions with Peers: A Diary Study of College Men and Women
• Completed analysis of collected data in SPSS and HLM systems.
• Completed Thesis Manuscript, defended Thesis Manuscript, passed Thesis Defense, and submitted Thesis Manuscript to the Elon Library for publication.
• Completed Love Your Body Month, handing out thousands of “love your body” pins, implementing an “Operation Beautiful” campaign on campus, holding a cultural event at which Ophira Edut spoke, and having hundreds of students write what they love about their bodies on mirrors around campus.
• Presented at SURF, NCUR and the Eastern Psychological Association Conferences.
• Used research in an interview with Fox 8 on “drunkorexia,” the phenomenon where people restrict calories before drinking.
• Began pairing down thesis for publication in the Body Image Journal.
Dr. Ann J. Cahill
Professor of Philosophy
Spence Pavilion 111
2340 Campus Box
Elon, NC 27244
Phone: (336) 278-5703
In addition to writing a research paper, Caitlin O’Donnell ‘13 created a website to educate the public on the ways women and people of color have previously been marginalized by the press.
Omolayo Ojo’s $10,000 award covers her expenses to study in Senegal for the fall semester as she conducts Lumen Prize research on African emigrants to the United States.
In a series of interviews with lawyers and career specialists, Sarah Kowalkowski '13 pinpoints the characteristics of students who thrive in law school - and then their profession.
The university's top award comes with $15,000 to support and celebrate academic and creative achievements.
Elon University senior Erica Schenhals has researched the effect oxytocin has on immune cells and breast cancer cells.
Thomas Price ‘13 developed a mobile application for middle and high school students to create their own video games using math and science principles.