Center for Professional Development News
- News & Record spotlights entrepreneurial approach at Elon Law
A Sunday, June 29 News & Record editorial features Elon Law’s emphasis on experiential learning and law school dean Luke Bierman’s perspectives on the future of legal education.
- Chris Smith featured in National Law Journal article on employer outreach
A Feb. 24 National Law Journal article about the growth of employer outreach programs at law schools features insights from S. Christian Smith, Elon Law’s assistant dean for professional development and chair of the Employer Outreach Section of NALP (National Association of Law Placement).
- Elon Law’s leadership program featured in national magazine
The American Bar Association’s Student Lawyer magazine focused its December issue on the increasing value of leadership experience for law students’ career success. The article spotlights Elon Law’s multi-year leadership program.
- Sony Pictures legal affairs executive John Fukunaga speaks at Elon Law
At an October 25 forum with John Fukunaga, Executive Vice President of the Corporate Legal department at Sony Pictures Entertainment, Elon Law students gained insights into pursuing a successful legal career.
- Elon Law students excel in summer internships
Members of Elon Law's Classes of 2014 and 2015 served in state and federal court systems, law firms, the offices of corporate counsel and in public interest positions this summer.
- Center for Professional Development hosts forum on finding success in legal job market
- Acclaimed author and Professor of Legal Career Management at Concord Law School Richard Hermann spoke to Elon Law students at a Professional Development Forum sponsored by Elon Law’s Center for Professional Development.
- Professional Development Forum: Richard Hermann on finding success in the legal job market – Sept. 10
- On Monday, September 10 at 5:30 p.m., law professor Richard Hermann will speak at Elon Law in Classroom 207 on “Finding Success in a Tough Legal Job Market." The forum is sponsored by Elon Law's Center for Professional Development. A reception will follow.
- Chris Smith co-edits national publication on employer outreach
- The National Association for Legal Career Professionals (NALP) recently published Employer Outreach Best Practices Guide, co-edited by S. Christian Smith, Assistant Dean for Career Services at Elon University School of Law.
- Elon Law celebrates pro bono work in private practice
- In honor of the ABA National Pro Bono Celebration, Elon Law's Office of Career Services and the Public Interest Law Society (PILS) recently hosted four Greensboro-area attorneys to speak on the role pro bono service plays in firm practice settings.
- Health Law Panel provides information to students hoping to pursue careers in healthcare law
- Being a healthcare attorney requires a unique dedication to the field, panelists said during the Health Law Panel at Elon Law on Oct. 26. The panel, co-hosted by Elon University School of Law's Office of Career Services and Elon's chapter of the Society for Health Law and Bioethics, provided career advice and answered students' questions about healthcare-related legal jobs.
- Elon Law hosts annual Sports and Entertainment Law panel
- The Elon Law Sports & Entertainment Law Society, together with the law school's Office of Career Services, hosted a Sports & Entertainment Law panel on Oct. 10. The event was moderated by Visiting Professor of Law David Maraghy, CEO of Sports Management International, Inc.
- Elon Law students excel in summer internships
- Members of Elon Law's Classes of 2012 and 2013 served in all branches of government, in public interest positions, and in law firms and the offices of corporate counsel this summer. Many served in cities and towns across North Carolina, while others held positions in locations across the country, including New York, NY, Washington, DC, New Orleans, LA, Columbia, SC, and Fort Worth, TX.
- Elon Law hosts sports management forum
- On August 17, the eve of the Wyndham Championship, Elon University School of Law hosted a sports management forum that explored different aspects of professional sports, especially professional golf.
- Elon Law hosts judicial clerkship panel
- Elon Law's Career Services office, along with the law school's Moot Court Board, sponsored a Post-Graduate Judicial Clerkship Panel at the law school on April 14. At the event, judges shared with students the qualities and expectations of their law clerks and what they like to see in clerkship applications. Current law clerks shared with the audience a typical day in their lives and important tips for preparing clerkship applications.
- Elon Law students advance federal legislation, state law, and private-sector cases through summer internships
- Members of Elon Law’s Classes of 2011 and 2012 served in all three branches of government at federal, state and local levels, and in numerous private sector positions, through summer employment experiences this year.
- Elon Law hosts Careers in Business Law forum
- On September 30, four Greensboro business attorneys spoke with Elon Law students about the practice of business law and the skills needed to excel in the area. Participants included John Overfield of Coltrane, Aycock & Overfield PLLC, Paula Sinozich of Connors, Morgan Sinozich, Adam Tarleton of Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLP, and Craig Taylor of Carruthers & Roth, PA.
- Careers in Government: Civil Practice Panel held Oct. 26
- Law students joined with Elon Law Professor Margaret Kantlehner’s Externship Class and the Office of Career Services for a career panel devoted to Careers in Government – Civil Practice – on October 26, 2010.
- Sports and Entertainment Law panel features attorneys representing professional and collegiate athletic associations
- On November 5, five attorneys spoke with Elon Law students about the practice of sports and entertainment law and the skills needed to excel in the area. Participants included Charles Blackmon of Tuggle Duggins, Nichelle N. Levy and Stokely G. Caldwell, Jr., of Robinson Bradshaw, Coe Ramsey of Brooks Pierce, and Erik Albright of Smith Moore Leatherwood.