|Lower Level Classes|
ENG 110 exercise (70 minutes)
Hands-on activity that teaches search strategies as students compare two different databases. Also includes:
• Journal Finder & ILL
• Belk Catalog
• CQ Researcher
GST 110 Model U.N. sources (30 minutes)
• Find country information in the library's databases
• Locate Security Council Resolutions, voting records, and other documents on the United Nations website.
Belk Catalog (10 minutes)
How to find books, DVDs, and CDs in the library's collection. Also includes:
• Using e-books
• My Library Account
• Placing requests on checked-out materials
|General Databases (10 minutes per database)|
How to find articles on many different subjects, including "popular" topics.
• Academic Search Premier
• ProQuest Research Library
|Journal Finder and Interlibrary Loan (10 minutes)|
• Determine if Belk Library has a journal, magazine, or newspaper
• Place ILL requests for materials that the library doesn't own.
Scholarly Journals vs Popular Magazines(10 minutes)
• Distinguish among academic journals, trade publications, and popular magazines.
• Discussion of the peer-review process
|Tour of the Library (20 minutes)|
Show students the locations of collections and important services in the library
|Choosing a topic (10 minutes)|
• Identify search terms and synonyms for a topic
• Browse relevant sources for ideas and background information
|Off-campus access (5 minutes)|
How to access the library's databases via the WebVPN.