The ADVANCE (AmeriCorps Dedicated to Virginia and North Carolina Children Excelling) program is an AmeriCorps education award program engaging North Carolina and Virginia college students as mentors. ADVANCE community partners are Communities in Schools of North Carolina and the Virginia Mentoring Partnership.
1. Engage college students in direct mentoring activities with K-12 at-risk youth at service sites
2. Improve the school attendance rates of participating youth.
3. Build the capacity of Service Sites by providing support for one-time and ongoing activities that support youth and families.
4. Develop a peer network and provide support and training for AmeriCorps Members to increase their mentoring knowledge, skills and effectiveness.
5. Design and implement at least two community improvement projects (per Campus Cluster), one tied to a national day of service, and completed in cooperation with the Service Site.
6. Assist postsecondary institutions in becoming agents of civic engagement responding more effectively to local education needs.
7. Nurture the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors of mentors and mentees that lead to a lifelong commitment to active community and civic participation.
Visit the links in the additional navigation box for more information or contact Leslie Garvin, ADVANCE Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AmeriCorps and the Corporation for National and Community Service
Funding for ADVANCE is provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an independent federal agency created to connect Americans of all ages and backgrounds with opportunities to give back to their communities and their nation. AmeriCorps, one stream of national service funded by CNCS, is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects more than 70,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet our country’s critical needs. AmeriCorps is made up of three programs: AmeriCorps*State and National, AmeriCorps*VISTA, and AmeriCorps*NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps). ADVANCE is an AmeriCorps national direct education award program.