Recruitment for our 2016-17 VISTA cohort is now CLOSED!
Read on for more information about becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA, and check out our VISTA VIEW BLOG to see some of the great work our VISTAs are doing right now.
NC Campus Compact VISTAs support civic engagement and fight poverty by connecting community based organizations with campus resources. Projects across North Carolina focus on food security, economic opportunity, and K-12 education.
VISTA members serve at one of our member campuses and/or community partners. NC Campus Compact’s growing coalition of 37 members are public, independent, and community colleges and universities throughout the state, from Western Carolina University in the mountains to UNC Wilmington on the coast.
NC Campus Compact VISTAs are placed at host sites all over North Carolina. They build the capacity of poverty-fighting organizations by connecting them with campus resources. VISTA members may take on a variety of activities, including:
• Assess community and agency needs and identify assets
• Recruit and train volunteers
• Develop data systems to manage people and performance
• Create policies and procedures that increase agency effectiveness
• Support citizen and student leadership and participation in service
• Seek new resources through fund-raising and grant-writing
• Facilitate service-learning placements, community-based research, and co-curricular opportunities that support communities
• Promote AmeriCorps, VISTA, and national service
VISTAs have a measurable impact on people and communities they serve. As an NC Campus Compact VISTA you will gain experience working in community development, non-profit, and higher education arenas, and develop professional skills through collaborative learning and leading. You’ll also build relationships with citizens, non-profit staff, students, and faculty in our diverse network of VISTAs, campuses, and community partners.
• Annual living allowance of approximately $11,000
• Health benefits package
• $1,500 stipend OR $5,730 education award following completion of service
• Relocation allowance (in some cases)
• Student loan forbearance (in some cases)
• 1 year of non-competitive eligibility for Federal employment following completion of service
Applicants should have a strong passion for service and the VISTA mission. Ideal candidates will also be interested in and have experience with college campus service programs and collegiate service-learning. Qualified applicants should have a proven track record of networking, communication, public speaking, and organizational skills.
Other skills and qualifications include:
• Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year institution
• U.S. citizenship or equivalent legal residency
• Ability to commit to a full-time year of service with no outside employment
• Able to attend Pre-Service Orientation in Atlanta, GA, August, 3-6, 2015.
• Online application at americorps.gov and résumé
If you’re interested in applying to become a North Carolina Campus Compact VISTA please follow the steps below:
1. Review the NC Campus Compact VISTA position description found here.
2. Select “Apply Now!” and follow the on-screen prompts to create a my.americorps.gov account and complete the application.
3. Submit your application to NC Campus Compact by attributing your application to our VISTA position. Note: You must select “Apply” a second time to send your AmeriCorps application to us.
4. Update your résumé.
Becoming an NC Campus Compact VISTA is a competitive process. Once you have submitted your application through the AmeriCorps portal it is forwarded to NC Campus Compact. NC Campus Compact contacts qualified candidates to request a résumé, and then we conduct screening interviews with selected applicants. Strong candidates are invited to a second round of interviews with host site supervisors whose projects may match with the candidate's skills and interests. A candidate's application may be reviewed by multiple host sites. Selected candidates will be offered a position as an NC Campus Compact VISTA! You have the option to accept or decline an offer.
Your service will start on August 5, 2016 following your attendance at Pre-Service Orientation (PSO). You will serve one year, through August 2017.
We will have approximately 20 VISTA projects across North Carolina in 2015-2016. Our VISTAs are hosted by a college or university member campus in partnership with a community-based organization (such as a K-12 school or non-profit), or VISTAs are hosted by a community-based organization in partnership with a member campus. Review our 2015-16 host site summaries.
During the interview process you are welcome to express your preference for a particular host site. However, we cannot guarantee placement at a requested site. You will have the option to accept or decline a host site's offer.
VISTA is a full-time position and members work approximately 40 hours per week. VISTA members cannot be full-time students and cannot have a second job. You will typically work the same hours as other staff at your host site, though you may work occasional weekends or evenings depending on the project. VISTAs usually take the same holidays as other staff at your site. In addition, VISTAs may take up to 10 personal days and 10 sick days during the year of service.
NC Campus Compact VISTA host sites are not required to provide housing for their VISTA. However, some sites do. Some sites also choose to provide their VISTAs with other support like a campus parking pass, gas or grocery stipend, or bus passes. You should discuss specifics with the host site during the interview process.
For more information, please contact VISTA Program Coordinator or call 336-278-7278.