We had a great experience with our Summer Associates. They were able to complete several projects over the summer that would not have happened without their assistance. It was very gratifying to see them learn and grow as young professionals. The Summer Associates expressed their appreciation for an opportunity that was challenging and meaningful."
The NC Campus Compact AmeriCorps Summer Associate VISTA program allows you the opportunity, during the summer, to host two to five full-time, first generation college student volunteers on your campus and in the community. This program, sponsored by the Corporation for National and Community Service, focuses on two priority areas: 1) supporting Title I eligible schools; and 2) education programming. SAs will work directly with college summer bridge/enrichment programs and other educational opportunities designed to support K-12 students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
In addition to the opportunities to learn and grow professionally under the mentoring and guidance of their supervisor and through their service, NC Campus Compact has developed a weekly training series for our Summer Associates.
Costs of Hosting a NC Campus Compact Summer Associate
AmeriCorps provides to Summer Associates:
A subsistence allowance equal to a pro-rated amount received by full-year members serving in the same area
A $1,174.60 education award OR a $250 post-service cash stipend from the National Service Trust when the Associate serves a minimum of 8 weeks
Unlike traditional VISTAs, Summer Associates do not receive health coverage, life insurance, child care allowances, or relocation allowances from AmeriCorps.
Host Campus provides:
• Administrative Fee ($300 for one SA, $750 for two SAs, $1200 for three or more) to NC Campus Compact
• Day to day supervision of the Summer Associate
• Office space and supplies
• Small budget for travel or other expenses related to campus work
• Optional: on campus housing and/or meal support
NC Campus Compact provides:
• Training throughout the summer
• Support from the NC Campus Compact VISTA Director from recruitment through the summer
• Management to meet all CNCS requirements of the program
For more information about hosting a NC Campus Compact Summer Associate Program, contact Jonathan Romm or 336-278-7197.