Are you a 1st generation college student looking for an exciting summer service opportunity?
Interested in alleviating poverty through service?
Do you want to support the needs of other 1st generation college students and at-risk K-12 youth?
As an NC Campus Compact Summer Associate you will serve as a short-term AmeriCorps*VISTAs (8-10 weeks), working to increase civic engagement on your campus and to implement and support programs that increase access for future first-generation college students. Unlike traditional VISTAs, Summer Associates will participate in both direct and indirect service, working both on their campus and within their community.
Requirements for applying
1. First-generation college student
2. Eighteen years of age or older
3. Completed first year of college
4. Have an interest in service/civic engagement and supporting future first-generation students
5. Commit to work full-time (40 hours/week) with no outside employment for summer term
6. There is no vacation leave during while serving
7. Be enrolled in no more than one summer class for the entire summer (June-July 2011)
• AmeriCorps living allowance of approximately $850 per month
• $1,000 education award from the National Trust Fund OR a $200 stipend upon completing entire 8-week program
• Networking opportunities and a chance to build leadership and professional skills
• Weekly professional development meetings
You must apply online and attribute your application to NC Campus Compact's VISTA program. To access the application:
1. Go to http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp
2. On the right of the page, there is a red Search box. Click on the link “Advanced Opportunity Search” below it. For Program Type select “AmeriCorps*VISTA,” and type in “North Carolina Campus Compact” for the Program Name.
3. You will then be able to view and apply to our VISTA program. When you select to “Apply Now!” you will be prompted to create a My AmeriCorps account and complete the application.
After completing the application, be sure to re-select North Carolina Campus Compact to submit your application to our program. (It is not automatically submitted after completing the application. You must hit "Apply Now" a 2nd time).
Contact Jonathan Romm or 336-278-7197 for questions or more information.