Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

Counseling Services is located in Suite 104 of the Ellington Center for Health & Wellness located on South campus. The physical address is 301 S. O’Kelly Avenue, Elon, NC 27244.

Back to Top

Who may use Counseling Services?

Counseling Services are available to all enrolled Elon University students.

Back to Top

How do I make an appointment?

Students may schedule an appointment by calling our office at (336) 278-7280 or by stopping by the office.  Appointments are available during normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the academic year (August - May).  Please note that except in cases of emergency, same-day appointments are generally not available.  At times you may have to leave a message; please be sure to clearly state your name and phone number so we may return your call.

Back to Top

How much do counseling sessions cost?

All counseling sessions are free of charge. This includes intake assessments, individual/couples/group therapy, walk-ins, and crisis appointments. 

Please be punctual and let us know in advance if you are unable to keep your appointment so that we may use that time for another student. A $35 No Show Fee will be assessed and billed to your student account for any missed appointments without prior notification.

Back to Top

Is there a limit to how many sessions I can receive?

No, we do not have session limits. Most students average 3-4 counseling sessions per year which is within the national range for college counseling centers. Students may be seen more or less depending on their needs and appointment availability.

Back to Top

What types of concerns can I bring up with my therapist?

Students commonly address a wide range of concerns including, but not limited to, anxiety, interpersonal relationships, sexuality, depression, life transitions, grief/loss, identity, trauma, and eating concerns/self-image.

Some students question whether their concerns warrant a visit to the counseling center. If there is any area of your life that you find is disrupting your healthy functioning (eating, sleeping, studying, concentration, relationships, mood, or general sense of well-being), then it is important, and we encourage you to come in to discuss it with us.

Please refer to our Scope of Clinical Care Statement to better understand our service limitations.

Back to Top

What can I expect when I come in for a first appointment?

Your first appointment will typically be an initial assessment called an “intake.” This appointment takes about 45 minutes. You will be asked to complete paperwork just prior to meeting with the therapist that will include important background information, along with details about your mental health history and current concerns. You and your therapist will meet to further discuss your concerns and will collaborate to develop the most effective plan to meet your needs. This may include group or individual counseling within the counseling center, psycho-educational workshop(s), and/or coordinating a referral to resources on campus or in the local community.  Your therapist will likely take notes on what you discuss. These notes are kept confidentially as a part of your clinical record. 

Back to Top

Is counseling confidential?

Yes, all communication you share within Counseling Services is confidential and protected by the law if you are 18 or older. Information about your attendance at Counseling Services and any information you reveal in sessions cannot be discussed with others (including all Elon faculty, staff, students, or parents) unless you have given written consent.

By law, there are exceptions to this rule. Exceptions include the following:

  • If you present a clear and present danger to yourself or someone else
  • If there is abuse of a child or vulnerable adult
  • If ordered by a judge or court under appropriate state and federal laws

Counselors sometimes function in other roles on campus, including the classroom. To protect your confidentiality, we will not acknowledge any clinical relationship with you should we see you or interact with you outside of Counseling Services.

Back to Top

What qualifications do the therapists have?

All providers are trained and licensed mental health professionals.  Our providers use a variety of counseling styles and techniques. To learn more about our providers, click here.

Back to Top

What if I would like to work with a different therapist?

We believe a “good fit” with your therapist is vitally important to the therapeutic process and to your healing and growth. If you feel your therapist is not a good fit after the first session, we would encourage you to consider meeting with them again for a second session. If you are able, voice your concerns to your therapist. We love to have honest and direct conversations and more than anything, want your counseling experience to be helpful. If you would like to try a different counselor, you are welcome to do so. You can either let your therapist know and they will help facilitate a transfer to another clinician, or contact the main office to indicate that you would like to transfer to another counselor.

Back to Top

What if I need psychiatric medication?

Students have access to psychiatric services (assessment and medication management) through referral to community resources. As a convenience to students, Counseling Services has coordinated with two local psychiatrists to provide independent services within the Ellington Health & Wellness Center. These psychiatric services are not provided by Counseling Services staff, therefore, the costs associated with these services are the responsibility of the student. We encourage students to consult with a Counseling Services provider to consider a psychiatric referral resource that best meets their needs.

Back to Top

What if I have a psychological crisis?

Crisis services are provided primarily for urgent situations (e.g. thoughts of harming yourself or someone else). If your concern is not a crisis, we ask that you contact the office during regular business hours to speak with a counselor and/or schedule an appointment.

Dial 911 first for emergency response if there is an imminent danger to self or others.

During business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm): Call Counseling Services at (336) 278-7280 or walk in to the Counseling Services’ office. Let the program assistant know that you are in crisis.
Please note, the program assistant will be out of the office during the noon hour, however, a counselor will be available to respond to crises.

Outside of business hours: Access the Student Life Emergency Response System by calling Campus Safety and Police at (336) 278-5555, and ask to speak with the “Counselor on Call.”

Back to Top

What can I do if I am worried about a friend?

Students have several resources to access if they are worried about a friend. Counseling Services providers are available for consultations by appointment during regular business hours by calling (336) 278-7280.  The Dean of Students Office uses an online reporting system that allows for anyone who has a concern for a student's health, well-being, or behavior to share these concerns with a campus administrator. The information reported may be used to help link a student with resources and/or respond if a student's behavior is creating a situation that is potentially unsafe for themselves or others. These reporting forms are for non-emergency reporting only. If any person may be in danger, call 911 immediately. Reports are reviewed within 1-2 business days of submission. To report a student concern, click here.

Back to Top

Are services available for students in a Study USA or Study Abroad program?

For students that will be participating in a Study USA or Study Abroad program, please view our video for some tips on how to prepare for your emotional and mental well-being while traveling.  Please note that we cannot provide ongoing care while you are out of state, but welcome you to schedule an appointment prior to your departure.

Back to Top