Diversity Course Database
The Diversity Course Database was developed in response to requests by students, faculty and staff for a resource to identify diversity-related courses at Elon University. Unlike a list, the Database identifies courses according to the way they are diverse using the following seven dimensions of diversity:
- RACE, including race and ethnicity as well as ethnic and national cultures
- CLASS, including social and economic class, issues of power as well as inequity and power relations
- GENDER, including gender issues and roles, gender identity and women's studies
- SEXUAL ORIENTATION, including sexual identity, human sexuality, and LGBTQI studies
- RELIGION, including religion, spirituality, secularism and belief systems
- ABILITY, including ability, access and disability rights
- GLOBAL, including nationality, globalization and international dynamics
By including courses that feature at least two dimensions of diversity in course content or student learning outcomes, the DCD reflects a practical intersectionality, which reveals a richer engagement of diversity.
The DCD allows users to search for courses by diversity-related content or student learning outcomes. Users use the dimension of diversity above to search for courses with diversity-related content or student learning outcomes. Users may also browse all diversity-related courses within a department or school.
Because the DCD contains courses from the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Communications, Love School of Business and School of Education, faculty, staff and students may use the DCD as a resource for advising and planning. Departments may use it to ascertain and develop their own curricular diversity needs.
Submit a Course
If you have a course that you believe should be a part of this Database please use the following form to submit it:
Click here to submit a course for consideration.
How To Navigate the Diversity Course Database
Users may see a course description and, where applicable, student learning outcomes, for any course at any time by clicking on the course name.
Users may navigate the Database two ways:
- BROWSE: Use the arrows at the bottom to browse courses in the entire database.
- FILTER: Users may filter results by Department and/or Content:
- Department: Hover over the top of the Department column and click on the arrow. A drop-down menu will appear and users can select a department. For example, if a user wanted to see all courses in the English department, simply choose ENG from the drop-down menu.
- Content: Hover over the top of the Content column and click on the arrow. A drop-down menu will appear and users can select a dimension of diversity. For example, if a user wanted to see all courses with ABILITY as a dimension of diversity, simply choose ABILITY from the drop-down menu.
Users can also filter by Department and Content. For example, if a user wanted to see English courses where race is one of the dimensions of diversity in course content, select ENG from the Department drop-down menu and RACE from the Content menu. Courses meeting both criteria will appear.
To return the Database to the Browse view with all courses, deselect the filters.