Omega Psi Phi Monument Dedication

Presented by Calvin Sutton, 2005

Fraternity's History - Date, Where, Place, How it was formed.
Chapter History - Year Founded & Chartered, Chapter Facts and History
Organization's Future Focus
Words of Acceptance and Gratitude - Not only for the Omega monument but for the whole garden.

On Friday evening, November 17, 1911, three Howard University undergraduate students, with the assistance of their faculty adviser, gave birth to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. This event occurred in the office of biology Professor Ernest E. Just, the faculty adviser, in the Science Hall (now known as Thirkield Hall). The three liberal arts students were Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper and Frank Coleman. From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning "friendship is essential to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was selected as the motto. Manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity

Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper and Coleman were elected the chapter's first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively.

The Sigma Mu chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was founded at Elon College on May 18, 1984 and has had a long and successful history at Elon. Currently there are no undergraduate members of Omega Psi Phi, however the alumni and the national organization are committed to the future of Omega at Elon University

On behalf of all the men of the Sigma Mu chapter of Omega Psi Phi, we say thank you to all who made this day possible and who brought these beautiful monuments to the Elon University Campus.