Leadership coaches assume a variety of roles throughout their relationship with the student with whom they work. However, at its foundation, the coach is responsible for mentoring the student through the leadership process. This is an opportunity for students to establish and strengthen a relationship with an Elon faculty or staff member who can provide guidance and mentorship. This requires leadership coaches to:
More specifically through your coaching relationship, students will be able to:
The Center for Leadership staff can provide you with the support to feel successful in your coaching responsibilities. These support initiatives include the following:
1. Leadership coach workshops throughout the academic year. We offer the following sessions each semester:
2. The Center for Leadership staff coordinates an annual Opening Ceremony every fall to bring students and coaches together in a larger community. This is a great chance to reconnect with your LEAD Program student(s) and meet other participants and coaches in LEAD, while learning about Center for Leadership updates, and be inspired by a leadership speaker. This year’s Opening Ceremony will take place on Sunday, September 7th at 2:00pm in Whitley Auditorium.
3. The Center for Leadership staff coordinators an annual Cannon Celebration every spring to celebrate the leadership accomplishments of all students involved in our leadership initiatives. This is a great chance for you to recognize your student’s growth and leadership contributions to the Elon community. Cannon Celebration typically takes place during the first week in May.
4. The LEAD website is an excellent resource. It includes an FAQ on coaching students and tips on good coaching techniques.
5. The Center for Leadership is active on social media through Facebook, Twitter (@ElonLeadership), and Instagram (ElonLeadership). Through these social media sites, we provide regular tips for leaders and mentors, articles related to leadership, and reminders for campus events related to leadership development, including LEAD workshops and due dates.
6. Within the Center for Leadership, there is a Resource Library that includes books and articles related to leadership and mentoring. All library resources can be checked out by any leadership coach. Additional materials are located in Belk Library.
7. Lastly, the Center for Leadership staff is interested in meeting individually with any leadership coach who has questions, concerns, or would like advice. Please contact Dana Carnes at the Center for Leadership to schedule a meeting.