Living Learning Communities at Elon
Living Learning Communities (LLC’s) are groups of students residing in the same residential area, interacting academically and socially with each other and with faculty, and sharing the same academic major, program or interest. The LLC’s at Elon are consistently ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Connected thematically, LLC's provide students the opportunity to interact with one another and with faculty members, attend events, speakers, and programs on or off campus, participate in community service experiences, and meet new friends with a shared interest.
LLCs participate in a varity of creative, innovative, academic and community focused activities. Students describe their LLC experience as an intrigal part of their Elon University experience, students not only find a sense of community through their LLC, they find a true sense of home. For more information on current events in our LLCs, please see the Neighborhood Happenings Newsletter.
LLC's participate in the prestigious Annual Residence Life Mural Competition, in which students are provided the opportunity to paint a mural within their hall and community depicting their sense of bELONging at Elon. The winners of the Residence Life Mural Competition are announced at the Elon Homecoming Football game. A substancial cash prize and the prestige of winning are rewards.
Two of the top three winning murals were designed and painted by LLCs. See pictures of the winning murals below.
Elon has developed a number of new LLCs for their Elon students, and expanded into upperclass only communities through the development of Student Directed Communities (SDCs), and LLCs in apartment style environments. SDCs are communities completed designed, run and implemented by students. This is your opportunity to develop your leadership, have ownership and self-authorship in your interests, and live with like-minded friends of your choosing! Please see below for locations and LLC offerings.
Elon's Living Learning Communities
- ASHES-(Alcohol and Substance-free Housing for Elon Students) - Colonnades B, 1st Floor, Advisor: Contact Residence Life
- Business- Colonnades Building D, 2nd Floor Advisor: Stacy Outlaw
- Communications- Sloan Hall 1st Floor, Advisor: William Moner
- Creative Arts - Global Village Building E, 2nd Floor, Advisors: Clay Stevenson
- Education - Oaks Neighborhood, apartments clustered together in one building, Advisor: Julie Justice
- Elon College Fellows - Academic Village, Advisor: David Vandermast and Kirby Wahl
- ELONCH-Entrepreneurship-Colonnades A 3rd Floor, Advisors: Scott Kelly
- Examining Disparities in Access to Education - Colonnades D 1st floor, Advisor: Esther Freeman and Marcus Elliott
- Gender and Sexuality-Colonnades A 2nd Floor, Advisor: Leigh-Anne Royster and Kevin Bourque
- Health and Wellness- Danieley L 2nd floor Advisors: Larry Mellinger
- Honors Floor - The Colonnades C, 2nd Floor, Advisor: Stephen Braye and Jason Husser
- Honors Pavilion - Academic Village, Advisor: Samuele Pardini
- InterFaith House: Mindfully Plural - Open to 3rd and 4th years, Advisors: Dr. Jan Fuller
- International - Global Building D, 2nd Floor, Advisors: Glenn Scott
- Leaders in a Global World - Global Building A, 3rd Floor, Advisors: Dana Carnes and Mark Dalhouse
- Lichens: Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Studies - Colonnades E 3rd floor, Advisors: Jen Uno, Amanda Chunco and Jen Dabrowski
- Performing Arts - Global B, 2nd Floor, Advisor: James Marchant
- Service Learning Community - Virginia 1st Floor, Advisor: Evan Small
- Sports, Participation and Networking - Smith Hall, 1st Floor, Advisors: Mark Cryan, TJ Bowie & Craig Schmitt
- STEM-Science, Technology, Engineering and Math -Colonnades E, 1st and 2nd Floor Advisor: Christopher Arena
- Sustainable Living- The Colonnades Building C, 1st Floor, Advisors: Jessica Bilecki
- World Languages Floor- All languages are welcome! Global Building D, 4th Floor, Advisors: Olivia Choplin & Ricardo Mendoza
Elon's Student Directed and/or Theme Communities
Elon Innovation House - Open to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students, Trollinger House, Advisor: Scott Kelly and Kevin O'Mara
- Hall for Change - a Community Committed to Social Justice - Open to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students, Colonnades building A, 2nd floor, For more information, please contact student Amy Belfer
- Holland House- Catholic Newman Center, Advisor: Father Peter Tremblay
Student Alumni House-Station at Mill Point, Building 141, Advisor: Deidra Smith