If you are a first-year or transfer student, you probably have questions about what to pack, how to meet your roommate and how to sign up for classes, just to name a few. Here are some questions and answers to help you prepare for move-in day and get settled once you arrive on campus.
Click on the links below for information about:
1. How are assignments prioritized?
Housing assignments are based on the date of the student’s enrollment deposit and early decision applicants. We begin receiving deposits as early as November and December.
2. When will I know who my roommate is?
Assignments and roommate information will be posted online for students beginning mid July. Emails with this same information will be sent to student's ELON email accounts the week of July 15.
3. Should I bring all of my belongings at once?
The residence life staff encourages you to contact your roommate and discuss who is bringing the stereo, carpet, etc., so you do not have two of everything. Making contact with your roommate before arriving helps make for a smooth transition to college life.
4. Will I have a closet or a wardrobe? What about under-bed storage?
The following halls have wardrobes: Academic Village, Danieley G-N, and West. The rest of the buildings have closets in each room.
5. Can I loft my bed?
Most beds on campus can be lofted. The equipment to do so will be available on move-in day. No prior arrangements are necessary. We recommend students use bed rails for lofted and bunked beds. Contact your area office to get a bed rail.
6. What are the dimensions of my desk and wardrobe?
Average desk dimensions are 42”X24”X30”.
Average wardrobe dimensions are 36”X25”X72”.
Click herefor more information.
7. Is the furniture in my room moveable?
The furniture in Hook, Brannock, and Barney are built-in. Furniture in all other rooms may be rearranged but not removed. Click here for more information.
8. Am I responsible for cleaning my bathroom? Do I have to provide toilet paper?
Bathrooms that are in two-room suites (between two residence hall rooms) will not be cleaned by the university. Bathrooms that do not require entry through a residence hall room will be cleaned by university staff. They will also replenish toilet paper. If your bathroom is not cleaned by the university, you may pick up toilet paper at your area office.
9. Where are laundry machines located? Will I need my own detergent?
Washers and dryers are available at convenient locations throughout the residential facilities. They are coin operated (quarters only) or Phoenix Cash operated. To find laundry facilities in your building or area, please refer to the university floor plans. You will need your Elon username and password to access these. You will need to bring your own detergent.
10. How can I get involved on campus and meet people?New student orientation (held the first week of your arrival) is packed full of things to do and people to meet. Shortly thereafter, the student organization fair is held with representatives from most campus organizations looking for new members. Your RA is also a valuable resource for ways to get involved on campus.
11. How do I sign up for classes and set my class schedule?
You should receive instructions on registering for classes in your admission materials. Any questions regarding your classes can be directed to academic advising at (336) 278-6500.
12. What if I have questions about my financial aid or payments?
Financial planning can give you the status of your financial aid package and can be reached on the WATS line (800) 334-8448, prompt #2. Questions about receipt of payment or board plan can be answered by the bursar's office at (336) 278-5300.
13. What size is my bed?
Most beds on campus are extra-long twin beds. However, single rooms in the Colonnades and the Global Village are full sized beds.