Writing Excellence Initiative: Elon celebrates the National Day on Writing with multiple events
Faculty, students, and staff celebrate the National Day on Writing with multiple events at Elon and Greensboro locations.
This article is one in a series of articles showcasing the successes of Elon’s Writing Excellence Initiative, the University’s 5-year Quality Enhancement Plan to enhance the teaching and practice of writing in academic, professional, and co-curricular contexts. One of the goals of the WEI is to celebrate writing in all forms with students, faculty, and staff, as well as community members.
On Friday, Oct. 20, organizations, offices and programs across campus hosted events and activities to celebrate the National Day on Writing. All events were sponsored by the Center for Writing Excellence.
The purpose of the National Day on Writing, which is sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English, is to highlight the significance of writing in our national life, draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in, and help people from all walks of life recognize how important writing is to their lives.
Hundreds of events occur all over the world to celebrate the National Day on Writing each year, and Elon participates in a big way. The university's main campus events attracted more than 100 participants, with additional participation at Elon Law School:
- Curriculum Resource Center, “Book Spine and Blackout Poetry” white-board writing activity
- Student Professional Development Center, “Resume and Cover Letter Drop-In” feedback session in Belk Library
- The CREDE, “Where I'm From” writing workshop
- Live Oak Communications, “Solution Seekers” writing group
- National and International Fellowships Office, “Application Write-In” at The Oak House
- Downtown Maker Hub, “Create a Leather Journal” workshop
- English Department “Weekly Twitter Chats,” event hosted by ENG 219
- Elon Law School, “Favorite Letters of the Law” giant post-it notes activity
- and the Center for Writing Excellence, “Tweet for a Sweet” Tweeting activity at the Writing Center
Participants in National Day on Writing events were entered into a raffle to win one of several $30 gifts cards. The winners were:
- Grayson Albers
- Drew Fellows
- Josselyn Geyer
- Cara Gangemi
- Alejandra Paull