Elon Sustainability's May Theme: Don't Trash It
May’s theme is “Don’t Trash It.” As the school year comes to an end and move out begins it is very east to throw away unnecessary items. We encourage you, however, to donate any used items and to recycle any recyclables. Taking a few simple steps can help reduce current waste problems and your impact on the environment.
May Don’t Trash It Tips:
- Donate used items at one of the Don’t Trash It! events.
- Recycle! Use a separate bin in your dorm or apartment to collect recycling and empty your bin in the provided container near your housing.
- To find locations to recycle electronics and miscellaneous items click here: http://www.elon.edu/e-web/bft/sustainability/ci-recycling.xhtml
- Use rechargeable batteries. They last about three years with average use, which translates into savings for you and fewer batteries in landfills.
- Choose paperless for your bank and credit card statements. Online statements save paper and reduce fossil fuel usage.
- Use a reusable mug for your coffee or tea rather than a disposable cup. Think about the number of cups you could keep out of the landfill – hundreds a year, thousands in your lifetime!
- Use a refillable water bottle rather than buying bottled water. You will save money and prevent plastic waste.
- Use a reusable cloth or canvas bag at the grocery store. The benefits to our environment include less waste, less litter and resource conservation.