Elon University launched the search for its ninth president in mid-February, 2017. Under the Elon bylaws and the requirements for accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Board of Trustees has the authority to appoint the university’s president. To conduct the search, the Board created a 16-member Search Committee, which was assisted by the search firm Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates.
The Board of Trustees elected Connie Ledoux Book as the university’s ninth president on October 8, 2017. She was recommended to the board by the search committee, which was led by trustee Wes Elingburg P’11 and included trustees, students, alumni, parents, faculty and staff. The search committee employed a hybrid search model, with an open phase at the beginning allowing nearly 7,000 members of the Elon community to provide input via a survey and campus forums. In the second phase, Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates contacted nearly 1,000 people about the search and assembled a pool of about 150 distinguished individuals, including many from the nation’s most elite institutions.
The search committee selected and reviewed a group of top candidates and, following two rounds of interviews, selected two finalists to participate in the third phase, which included meetings and one-on-one sessions with more than 60 Elon trustees, faculty, staff, students, senior staff members and academic deans. Based on the results of this extensive evaluation process, the search committee unanimously recommended Dr. Book to the Board of Trustees.
- Update 8/17/17 – Update on the search progress
- Update 6/23/17 – The Search Committee has begun reviewing candidates
- Update 4/21/17 – Search prospectus is finalized and being distributed
- Update 3/29/17 – Details on results of the community survey and campus forums
- Update 3/1/17 – Search Committee members named, campus meetings scheduled
- Update 2/21/17 – Upcoming opportunities to assist in the search process