Approximately 11,000 applications were received for the 1,650 available spaces for first-year and transfer students last year.
The most important factors in the admissions decision are the academic record (including courses taken, grades attained and class standing) followed by SAT or ACT scores. We also consider the Secondary School Report, extracurricular activities and involvement, the essay and a student's potential to contribute positively to our campus environment.
For transfers, previous college work is the primary factor, followed by high school performance and SAT or ACT scores.
Applicants are encouraged to pursue a rigorous program of study throughout their four years of high school. We recommend the following distribution of courses:
- English: 4 units required (3 units must be completed for admissions consideration)
- Math: 3 units required (Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry), 4 recommended
- Science: 3 or more units, including at least one lab science
- Social Studies: 3 or more units, including U.S. History
- Foreign Language: 2 units required, 3 recommended (Students who have not completed at least two units in one foreign language must complete a 121-level foreign language course at Elon.)
Elon requires ACT or SAT scores. Submit scores from all tests taken. Only the highest scores will be considered in the admission decision. The optional Writing section will not be required and will not be part of the first-year application review. Make sure you take either the ACT or SAT by October or November of your senior year to meet application deadlines.