The original commencement plan offers a beautiful setting and allows for the greatest number of attendees. However, in the event of inclement weather, the university must switch to a rain plan. In the event of rain, Elon’s undergraduate Commencement will be divided into two ceremonies to allow all students to receive their degrees in Alumni Memorial Gymnasium on Saturday, May 19, 2018.
A ceremony for students receiving Bachelor of Arts degrees will begin in Alumni Memorial Gymnasium at 9:15 a.m. and a second ceremony will begin at 1:15 p.m. for students receiving Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degrees.
Graduates are allotted two rain location tickets, which they need to pick up in advance at Alamance 109 (Office of Student Life) by 4 p.m. Thursday, May 17. The ticket for the 9:15 a.m. ceremony is white. The ticket for the 1:15 p.m. ceremony is maroon. It is the responsibility of each graduate to give the tickets to those who will use them if the rain plan is necessary.
When Commencement exercises are held on Scott Plaza there is no limit to the number of guests who may attend and tickets are not required.
If it rains and the ceremony is inside, graduates should check in at Campus Recreation in Koury Athletic Center and line up in Jordan Gym. For the morning ceremony, graduates should check in at 7:45 a.m. For the afternoon ceremony, graduates should check in at 11:45 a.m.
The two ceremonies will have about the same number of graduates and the Commencement speaker will address students at both programs. For guests without rain location tickets, Commencement exercises also will be streamed live online (www.elon.edu/live) and broadcast via closed-circuit television in the following locations:
9:15 a.m. ceremonies
- McCoy Commons/The Oaks: Education & Wellness/Science Education
- Center for the Arts: Art/Art History/Arts Administration/Music/Music Performance/Theatre Studies/Theatre Design & Production
- Moseley Center/Lakeside: International Economics/Economics/Human Service Studies/Public Health Studies/Independent Major/Religious Studies/Philosophy/English/World Languages & Cultures/Psychology/Anthropology/Sociology/History/International Studies/Political Science Policy Studies
- Great Hall, Global Commons: Strategic Communications/Journalism/Communications Design/Cinema & Television Arts/Media Arts & Entertainment/Media Analytics
- McMichael Science Center: Biology/Chemistry/Statistics/ Environmental Studies/Physics/Computer Science/Mathematics
1:15 p.m. ceremonies
- McCoy Commons/The Oaks: Physical Education/Health/Music Education/Exercise Science
- Center for the Arts: Music Theatre/Dance/Dance Science/Art/Theatre Arts/Music Production & Recording Arts/Music Technology
- Moseley Center/Lakeside: Management/Finance/Accounting
- Great Hall, Global Commons: Marketing/Entrepreneurship/International Business/Sport Management/Cinema & Television Arts
- McMichael Science Center: Biology/Biochemistry/Chemistry/Chemical Engineering/Environmental Science/Environmental Engineering/Physics/Biophysics-Biomedical Engineering/Environmental and Ecological Science/Applied Mathematics/Information Science/Computer Science/Engineering Mathematics/Computer Science-Engineering/Mathematics and Statistics
The university will hand out diplomas to graduates during the ceremony, even if the rain plan is implemented. If the ceremony is held on Scott Plaza, graduates will receive their diploma from President Book as they cross the stage. If the ceremony is held in Alumni Gym, space is limited so graduates will cross the stage, shake President Book’s hand, and then receive their diploma from the Registrar’s Office immediately after exiting the stage.
If it rains, graduates can pick up their oak saplings outdoors in the colonnades on either side of Koury Athletic Center. There will not be a reception for graduates following Commencement under the rain plan.
For those who have registered for the post-Commencement buffet at the Alamance Country Club: The buffet will be available after both rain plan ceremonies.
If possible, the decision to implement the rain plan will be announced at 8 p.m. Friday. Since weather is unpredictable and the forecast can change overnight, the decision to implement the rain plan could be made at 6 a.m. Saturday and will be announced immediately.
Information about changes to Commencement activities or schedules will be announced via the E-Net website (http://www.elon.edu/e-net), via the university’s Twitter account (@elonuniversity) or on a prerecorded telephone message at (336) 278-RAIN.