To address possible questions related to advising and the impact of COVID-19, the School of Communications has created responses to the following frequently asked questions.

What if I am unable to contact my academic adviser for registration?

If your adviser is unavailable or unreachable, contact the department chair or program director of your major in the School of Communications. If you have additional questions, contact the Office of Academic Advising.

What if I can’t get into a class?

During the upcoming registration period, students will have the option to waitlist most courses in the School of Communications (with the exception of COM100 and SPT212) via OnTrack if the class is closed. The waitlist will prioritize students based upon 1) being a graduation candidate and 2) the number of credit hours accumulated.

Students will be able to view the total number of individuals on the waitlist. However, students will not know their ranking on the waitlist, as this may change depending on who signs up to waitlist a particular course.

If a seat becomes available in a School of Communications course that was previously closed, and you are first on the waitlist, you will receive an email. Please note that you will only have 24 hours to claim your spot. If you do not respond to the email request, then you will lose your spot on the waitlist. If this occurs, you may re-add yourself to the waitlist, however the school will not be able to accommodate students who missed their opportunity to register through the waitlist process – so be sure to check your email!

For more details, visit the school’s New Waitlist Option webpage.

What if I encounter a technology/internet issue during my advising window?

The registration process is the same as when you are on campus. You should contact the Office of Academic Advising if you experience technology problems during registration.

If employers are not accepting student interns this summer or fall semester, will I be able to complete my required internship?

Yes. The School of Communications has provided a number of options to maximize opportunities for students to earn internship credit. Please contact Internship Director Amber Moser for assistance and to discuss these options.

Will the special pass/fail option for undergraduate students in the spring 2020 semester carry over to future semesters?

No. The university has returned to the traditional use of the pass/fail option. Please note that students cannot use the pass/fail option in classes within their major, minor and the Elon Core Curriculum. For more information on the Pass/Fail option, visit the 2020-21 Academic Catalog Pass Fail Elective Policy.

Still have your Elon 101 instructor as your academic adviser? And you want to change your adviser to a School of Communications faculty member?

Assignment of academic advisors is centralized in the Office of Academic Advising. As part of this process, students will have to officially declare a major in the School of Communications.

Because Winter Term 2021 classes abroad have been canceled, what do I do?

All questions regarding studying abroad programs should be directed to the Global Education Center. Call 336-278-6700.

Who enrolls in the COM 220E Creating Multimedia Content course section this spring?

The COM 220E Creating Multimedia Content section offered in spring 2020 is set aside for the university’s remote-only students who need to take COM 220. This is not a class labeled as “Online Instruction” in OnTrack. It will only be open to students with official approval from Disability Services for remote-only instruction. These students will be contacted by Professor Julie Lellis, director of communications core and minor, and should place themselves on the waitlist for COM 220E during their registration process. Enrollees will be loaded into the class after the school confirms the student’s remote-only status. Please note: The school cannot guarantee that students with remote-only accommodations will be able to be accommodated in other sections of COM 220.