We know students and families have questions about the implications of COVID-19 on global programs. We have compiled frequently asked questions and answers below and will be adding to this page moving forward.
In the meantime, for questions not addressed here, please feel free to contact the Global Education Center staff by chatting us from the bottom right corner of your screen (during business hours), by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a voicemail on 336-278-6700.
Which applications can be deferred?
Students may defer from a fall or academic year 2020 to a spring or calendar year 2021 program, or from a summer 2020 to a summer 2021 program. Students may not defer from a Center, Affiliate or Exchange program to a short-term program. For example, a student may not defer a semester study abroad program to a Winter Term study abroad course.
How do I defer my application?
Email your deferral request to email@example.com, and we’ll change your application to the new term. If it’s for the same program, you don’t need to resubmit anything in your Elon application – your status (approved/accepted/etc.) will be the same as it was before. The only action you need to take is to notify your host program or provider (e.g. CIEE, FIE, University of Haifa, etc.). If you’re not sure how to do that, ask your program manager.
If you’re deferring to a later term AND switching into a different program, you’ll need to resubmit certain elements of your application, including your learning plan essay responses and your course review form. You do not need to resubmit a deposit. Your status will be changed to “pending” until it is reviewed for the new program.
Can I defer my scholarship?
You cannot defer your Elon Global Scholarship (or GEC Access Scholarship). However, your scholarship application will be reconsidered for the future term, given you continue to meet eligibility requirements.
If you have questions about other scholarships and grants, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
How do I withdraw my application?
If you haven’t yet been accepted or approved, you can withdraw directly. Log into MyElonGlobal, and from your applicant homepage, click “withdraw application” from the bottom right side of the application you’d like to withdraw. If you’re not automatically routed to your applicant home when you log in, click the house icon in the top left, and select “applicant home.”
If you’ve been accepted or wait listed for COR 331 Peru: Wilderness and Adventure Therapy, submit the cancelation form.
If you’ve been accepted or wait listed for a Winter Term 2021 program, your application is temporarily locked until the GEC communicates next steps by the beginning of August. At that time, we will post withdrawal information.
If you’ve been accepted, approved or wait listed for any other program (e.g. a semester program), email your program manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are summer 2020 programs operating?
All summer 2020 study abroad programs, Elon in LA, and Elon in NYC are canceled.
Elon in DC will proceed so long as our partner, The Washington Center, is continuing operations.
What are my options if my summer 2020 program is canceled?
You have two options:
- You may withdraw your application. If you paid an application deposit, it will be credited to your student account. To withdraw, email your program manager or email@example.com.
- You may defer your application to summer 2021. If you paid an application deposit, it will be credited to your student account. When summer 2021 applications open in the fall, email your program manager to reinstate your application.
Key dates for fall 2020
For fall 2020 programs that begin between July 13 and Aug. 15:
- Elon will decide on program continuity by May 18.
- Students that withdraw their application by June 1 will have their deposit refunded.
- Students that withdraw their application after June 1 will not have their deposit refunded and will incur any expended, nonrecoverable costs associated with their program.
- Elon will enroll students in iNext insurance by May 30.
For fall 2020 programs that begin between Aug. 16 and Aug. 25:
- Elon will decide on program continuity by June 16.
- Students that withdraw their application by June 16 will have their deposit refunded.
- Students that withdraw their application after June 16 will not have their deposit refunded and will incur any expended, nonrecoverable costs associated with their program.
- Elon will enroll students in iNext insurance by June 30.
For fall 2020 programs that begin Aug. 26 or later:
- Elon will decide on program continuity by July 9.
- Students that withdraw their application by July 9 will have their deposit refunded.
- Students that withdraw their application after July 9 will not have their deposit refunded and will incur any expended, nonrecoverable costs associated with their program.
- Elon will enroll students in iNext insurance by July 30.
When’s the deadline to defer or withdraw my application?
There is not one set deadline for deferring or withdrawing your fall 2020 application. Please consider the key dates listed above. Also, note that the final deadline for spring 2021 programs is Sept. 10.
Many of our partners are relaxing their cancelation deadlines as well, so double check with your provider or on-site host (e.g. FIE, CIEE, University of Haifa, etc.).
When will I know if my fall 2020 program is canceled?
If your host program cancels their program, students approved for the program will be notified directly as soon as possible.
For information on when Elon will assess program continuity, please see the key dates listed above.
What are my options if my fall 2020 program is canceled?
If your program is canceled, you have three options:
- Switch into another available fall 2020 program. Talk with your GEC program manager about which programs are still available (the closer it is to a program start date, the less likely a program is to be available – this is often complicated by required visa timelines), and which may be a good substitution for your academic requirements and global engagement goals.
- Defer your application to spring 2021. Email your GEC program manager or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a deferral.
- Withdraw your application. Email your GEC program manager or email@example.com to withdraw your application. Your application deposit will be credited to your student account.
Winter Term 2021
Global Short-Term Program January 2021 travel has been canceled.
If you’ve been accepted or wait listed for a Winter Term 2021 program, your application is temporarily locked until the GEC communicates next steps by the beginning of August. At that time, we will post withdrawal and course registration information.
July 13 message from the short-term programs team
First, I want to begin by thanking you all for your patience and understanding as you worked with us to navigate logistical challenges and ethical considerations involved with implementing Global Short-Term Programs this upcoming January 2021 winter term.
Second, it is with mixed emotions that the Global Education Center announces that we are cancelling our global short-term programming for January 2021. Our office believes strongly in global education as a high impact practice. These intense, mentored experiences underscore Elon’s mission and highlight our community’s commitment to being global learners. After many discussions with program leaders and providers, we believe that the best course of action at this time is to cancel our faculty-led programming for January 2021. There are many factors that went into this decision, including but not limited to:
- Ethical concerns involving bringing COVID-19 to host communities
- The student experience
- Health of faculty and students
- Financial implications for students and families
- Challenges with forecasting the COVID virus, travel restrictions, and changing policies of other countries as well as our own country
- Challenges to planning and delivering a travel-based program which meets the University’s standards of physical distancing and avoidance of large groups and uncontrolled public places
We are waiting to hear from university leadership about whether or not the winter term and spring term calendars will be shifted. The GEC will contact you all as soon as possible about any updates with our global short-term programs for next academic year.
Ideally, we would have all known about the potential calendar shifts before making this announcement for a smoother transition and more clarity moving forward. In a global pandemic, that is just an unreasonable ask. We understand that you may need to make plans with your family and academic advisor(s).
- Another communication will go out by the beginning of August.
- The GEC will make changes to your OnTrack registration at the beginning of August, before the August 10 reopening of course registration.
- At the same time, your status within our application system will also be changed.
I am truly sorry about the decision, but I know it is in the best interest of everyone. Our office is looking at creative solutions to offer students opportunities for global engagement ELR this year in addition to semester programming.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions.
Janelle and the Global Short-Term Programs Team