What is the 1889 House?
Proposed to launch in the fall of 2018, the 1889 House is a Living Learning Community of eight seniors located in the Station at Mill Point. These students will work with the Office of Alumni Engagement as members of the Senior Class Giving Committee to educate Mill Point seniors on engagement as a partner, advocate, and investor.
What is the significance of 1889?
In addition to representing the year Elon was founded, all senior donors automatically become members of Elon’s 1889 Society—a group of Elon’s most loyal donors. These individuals have given annually for two or more consecutive fiscal years (June 1-May31), and/or have set up monthly or annually recurring gifts. Senior donors maintian their place in the 1889 Society by continuing to give annually upon graduation.
- Residents will serve as active members of the Senior Class Giving Committee
- Residents will plan and provide a series on “Life after Elon,” to allow students to network with Elon alumni and to ease their transition from student to alumni
- Residents will plan one event per semester in an effort to reach overall senior class giving goals, and donor goals (participation based) for seniors within the Mill Point community
- Residents will offer “open door hours” where senior donors can take advantage of different stewardship initiatives
- Residents will educate seniors on the importance of beginning a tradition of philanthropy at Elon—This begins with a senior class gift, and continues annually after graduation
- Residents will educate current students about the opportunities for, and the importance of being active alumni
Residents will be matched with members of the Young Alumni Council who will serve as mentors during their time in the house
Residents will have the opportunity to travel to regional alumni events
Residents will receive priority access to events, programs and resources provided by the Office of Alumni Engagement
Who will live there?
Students will apply during their junior year are are accepted by the advisor. The community is open to both men and women, but all residents must be seniors in good standing with the university during their time in the house.
Where is it?
The Station at Mill Point, Building 141
How do I apply?
Visit this page.
For more information, please contact the 1889 House LLC Advisor: