Holland House, the former home of two Elon presidents, was moved from its location across from the McMichael Center to South Campus and is now home to the Catholic LLC Community. Named in honor of John Henry Cardinal Newman, the Newman Centers are residence and Catholic ministry centers at non-Catholic universities throughout the world. The Catholic Newman Center at Elon provides programming space, student residences, and a residence for the Peer Ministry Coordinator, a professional staff member who serves as the Resident Advisor.
The first floor is reserved exclusively for use by Catholic Campus Ministry to host programs and activities sponsored by the organization. The first floor is also welcome for use by other Religious & Spiritual Life organizations, but any use of the first floor must be requested through the LLC Advisor. The second floor is part of the University Residence Life program and provides housing for four students and the Peer Ministry Coordinator.
Students residing in the Holland House do not have any official duties with the Catholic Newman Center but are expected to be an active participant in various programs sponsored by Catholic Campus Ministry throughout the school year. Through these, you will engage in and learn about the life of the Catholic Campus Ministry program and community. The second floor is private and separate from the first floor, but student residents will be expected to keep the entire first floor orderly at all times.
The Catholic Newman Center is also an alcohol and substance-free community. Student residents will not be allowed to consume or possess alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, or any illicit substances in the building, regardless of age.
Student residents will be expected to attend house meetings with the Resident Advisor at the beginning of the school year and once a month thereafter.
- The Catholic Newman Center is a home away from home
- Make numerous friends with shared interests and goals
- Weekly brunch & learn
- Weekly mass
- You are connected to the Catholic community on campus, which comprises 28% of the total undergraduate population
- Live in an awesome house on South Campus that boasts some of the largest rooms at Elon
- Your building has a full kitchen, living room with large TV, a game room with a foosball table, and laundry facilities downstairs
- Participate in several social/ bonding activities at the Catholic Newman Center, including dinners, movie nights, and game nights
- You live in a positive social environment
Who will live there?
The Catholic Newman Center is open to first-year and upper-class students, regardless of gender. Student residents are expected to participate in various Catholic Campus Ministry activities and programs. Residents should have a positive attitude towards the Catholic faith and maintain a welcoming and cooperative spirit of the house.
What is the facility like?
The Holland House is located on South Campus, across the train tracks, next to Holt Chapel, and just in front of the driving range and chipping green. The official address is: 699 Holt Chapel Lane, Elon, NC 27244.
Second Floor Residences
- 3 single rooms and 1 double room
- Rooms include a large closet, full-sized bed, armoire, and desk for each student
- 2 Full bathrooms, each shared between 2 people of the same gender
- Furnished common room for residents on the 2nd floor
- Wired and wireless internet access in each room
First Floor Building Amenities
- Phoenix Card access front door
- Full kitchen
- Laundry facilities
- Meeting and gathering spaces
Residents pay the Elon official housing rate per semester for their corresponding room
Residents are required to select at least the 300-block meal plan
Students who have already signed a lease to live in campus apartments may not break their lease to live in the Holland House.
How do I apply
Visit this page for more information.
Contact the Catholic LLC Advisor: