The Service Learning Living Learning Community (SLC) is for incoming first-year students interested in integrating into campus life through a community service lens. The SLC introduces students to Elon by providing opportunities to volunteer with campus and community organizations, while providing a foundation for social justice education through discussion of important local issues. The SLC provides an opportunity to become familiar with the local community outside of the Elon bubble, and offers a residential opportunity to live alongside other students who are passionate about service and want to be engaged on campus.
Since the SLC consists of entirely first-year students, much emphasis is placed on supporting floor members in their transition to Elon’s campus. Students living in the SLC take their COR 110 Global Experience course together during their first semester in order to have a shared academic experience. Additionally, four student leaders who previously lived on the SLC floor organize service projects and fun activities on and off campus, and provide mentorship and guidance throughout the school year. Members also move-in one day early and have an SLC specific orientation in order to meet others students living on the floor right away.
Members of the SLC deepen their service commitments in the spring as they delve into a long-term service experience with one local organization of their choosing. Some floor members choose to pursue their Service Experiential Learning (ELR) requirements as result of their participation in the SLC
Explore the Service Learning Community Syllabus.
- Live in a positive social and academic environment
- Participation in service projects with a dedication to learning and growth through reflection
- Enrollment in a linked COR 110 course with other SLC members
- Participate in social activities such as floor dinners, trips to Greensboro, going to the movies, and more!
- Gain an increased awareness of social issues facing the local community
- Develop transferable skills and connections that will serve you throughout your college experience
- Develop a strong connection to service organizations and leadership opportunities through the Kernodle Center for Service Learning and Community Engagement and Elon Volunteers!
Students must show an interest in and commitment to service and community engagement. Students will be expected to actively participate in service projects and social events.
What is the facility like?
Located on the 1st floor of East C residence hall in the East Neighborhood
How do I apply?
To apply to live in the SLC, visit this page for more information. Please note: you must be an incoming first year student to apply for this LLC.
Contact the SLC Advisor:
For additional information, visit the SLC webpage on the Kernodle Center for Service-Learning and Community Engagement website.