Elon Leads CAA in Academic Achievement
Seven athletics teams each earn NCAA recognition for academic success.
The Elon University football, men’s basketball, men’s cross country, men’s golf, women’s basketball, women’s lacrosse and volleyball programs are among the NCAA Division I teams to receive Public Recognition Awards for their latest multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores, the NCAA announced in May.
Each year, recognition is given to teams scoring in the top 10 percent in each sport with their APRs. Elon’s seven teams recognized ties for the most in the Colonial Athletic Association with William and Mary. This marks the third time since 2013-14 in which seven or more Elon teams have earned national recognition for APR.
“This achievement demonstrates the commitment Elon student-athletes, coaches and administration consistently have towards strong academic performance,” said Elon Director of Athletics Dave Blank. “We’re very proud of the academic and athletic accomplishments our student-athletes achieve year after year.”
Each year, the NCAA honors selected Division I sports teams by publicly recognizing their latest multiyear NCAA Division I APR. This announcement is part of the overall Division I academic reform effort and is intended to highlight teams that demonstrate a commitment to academic progress and retention of student-athletes by achieving the top APRs within their respective sports. Specifically, these teams posted multiyear APRs in the top 10 percent of all squads in each sport. Thirty-nine CAA teams in 15 different sports received the NCAA Public Recognition Award.
The APR provides a real-time look at a team’s academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team’s academic performance.
CAA teams receiving NCAA public recognition awards by sport:
- Men’s Basketball: Elon, Towson, William and Mary
- Women’s Basketball: Elon, Northeastern
- Men’s Cross Country: Elon
- Women’s Cross Country: Delaware, Hofstra, Towson
- Football: Elon, New Hampshire, Richmond, Villanova
- Men’s Golf: Drexel, Elon, Hofstra, UNCW, Towson, William and Mary
- Women’s Golf: College of Charleston, William and Mary
- Women’s Lacrosse: Elon
- Women’s Rowing: Villanova
- Men’s Soccer: UNCW, William and Mary
- Men’s Swimming and Diving: William and Mary
- Women’s Swimming and Diving: Drexel, UNCW, William and Mary
- Men’s Tennis: Drexel, William and Mary
- Women’s Tennis: Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra, James Madison, UNCW, Towson
- Volleyball: Elon, UNCW