About Service Sabbaticals
As part of Project Pericles at Elon, Service Sabbaticals make it possible for all University employees with two or more years of service to be relieved of their duties to the University for one month or less, in order to work full time for a community organization. Recipients will continue to receive their university paychecks during their sabbaticals. Project Pericles will cover the expense of replacing you while you are gone from your job. That may mean hiring a temporary replacement or just having other team members cover for you while you are gone. Project Pericles supports projects and organizations whose goals and principles are consistent with the Elon University Mission Statement.
It is important to note that all members of the University community with two or more years of service to Elon, not just teaching faculty members, are eligible for these sabbaticals. Any full-time University employee who has a record of service to a community organization — and who has an idea of how his or her full-time service for one month will benefit that organization in a significant way — is welcome to apply.
How to Apply
- Step One: Contact Mathew Gendle (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your supervisor with your idea.
- Step Two: Contact the leader at the organization with which you want to volunteer.
- Step Three: Complete the following via this link.
- A description from you of how you will use your time.
- A note from your supervisor saying how your position will be covered while you are away from your duties at Elon.
- The letter or email from the leader of the organization that you will work with during the sabbatical saying how your time will be used.
- Step Four: In consultation with the Provost’s Office, the Director and Associate Director of Project Pericles will review your application and get back to you within two weeks with a decision.
- Step Five: Following the completion of your service experience, please contact University Communications and request an E-net story regarding your service sabbatical. For the article, please request from your service sabbatical supervisor a letter or email describing the work done and impact on the organization. It is expected that this will be done within one month following the completion of the service sabbatical. The letter/email requested from your service sabbatical supervisor should also be forwarded, along with a brief (one page) summary of your sabbatical activities, to the director of Project Pericles (Dr. Mathew Gendle, email@example.com). Please contact the director of Project Pericles (Dr. Mathew Gendle) if you or the service supervisor have questions or need assistance.
Applications are taken on a rolling basis throughout the year, but those made after September 1 may not be eligible for funding until the next fiscal year beginning June 1.
Contact Mathew Gendle, Director of Project Pericles, at (336) 278-6431 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. The application process is fast, simple, and you can have your idea become a reality in a very short time.