To ensure your password cannot be easily guessed by a person or computer, choose passwords that are long and complex.
Follow the tips below to create secure passwords:
- Choose a password that is at least 15 characters long.
- If it’s not possible to type a long password, make the password more complex by adding numbers and special characters.
- The password should not be word that can be found in a dictionary.
- Use a significantly different password for each of your accounts (don’t just add a “1” to the end on one account, and a “2” to the end of the password on another account).
- Use two-factor authentication when possible, e.g. a password and authorization with your phone.
- Never share your passwords with anyone.
- Never write down your passwords or leave them where others can see them.
- Consider using a password manager such as LastPass
Did you know?
Elon students, faculty, and staff now have access to LastPass for their personal email addresses.