The “Public Wireless” network is available to the public in order to meet temporary demands for wireless internet connectivity while visiting Elon University’s campus. The service is available only in selected areas. It offers no security encryption, and is limited in speed, capacity, and features.
Note: the “Public Wireless” network is not a part of Elon University’s campus network, and it is not protected by university security measures. Elon University students, faculty, staff and official affiliates should use Elon University’s more secure and fully featured wireless services via elonu-secure Wireless.
This policy applies to anyone who is not faculty, staff, or student at Elon University, and his or her devices and systems.
The “Public Wireless” network is available to the public in order to meet temporary demands for wireless internet connectivity while visiting Elon University’s campus.
3.1 Operating Parameters
Users should be aware of the following operating parameters when connecting to public wireless:
- In order to use public wireless, visitors must agree to the Terms and Conditions displayed at their first connection.
- No authentication is required.
- Users have access to standard (WWW) and secure (HTTPS) web pages, SSH (Secure Shell), Virtual Private Network (VPN), DHCP and DNS connections.
- Public wireless is available from 7:00 AM till 10:00 PM each day.
- The bandwidth is restricted to 1024 KB download speed and 512 KB upload speed.
3.2 Public Wireless Locations
Persons using the “Public Wireless” wireless network are not guaranteed privacy or data security. Users assume all associated risks, and agree that Elon University and its employees are not liable for any compromised information (e.g. credit card), or for any damage to hardware or software due a lack of security measure or as a consequence of virus infection or hacking attempts.