Elon University Position Statement on Alcohol
Elon University recognizes alcohol misuse negatively impacts the community, personal well-being, and academic achievement. Therefore, our position on alcohol is one of education and accountability. We expect students to uphold the Honor Code and make wise and healthy decisions about alcohol use, including the choice not to drink. Students whose behaviors diminish the success or safety of themselves or others will be held accountable.
The University’s Position Statement on Alcohol serves as a guide for programs and policies regarding alcohol. One set of programs are those that educate students about specific behaviors that promote their academic success and personal development, and safeguard the well-being of the community. Practicing the following behaviors will reduce students’ risks (academic, social, physical, legal, personal):
- Choosing not to drink alcohol
- Drinking alcohol only when you are of legal age
- Deciding before you go out whether you will drink and, if you decide to drink, choosing not to exceed the amount of alcohol that is low-risk for you
- Always knowing what you are drinking
- Eating a full meal before drinking, not just salty food such as pretzels or chips
- Never drinking shots to get a head start before attending an event
- Having a plan of how you will get home safely
University policies regarding student substance use and/or possession may be located in the Elon Student Handbook.
Request a Substance Education Presentation
Bring SPARKS to your class, student organization, Greek chapter or residence hall! SPARKS Peer Educators offer a variety of workshops for classes and student organizations. Please fill out the form below to request your presentation.