President’s Student Leadership Advisory Council
The President’s Student Leadership Advisory Council (PSLAC) represents a wide range of student involvement and experiences on campus. PSLAC forges positive working relationships between Elon’s student leaders and senior campus leadership and plays a role in shaping the student campus culture. PSLAC also works to improve the student experience, enhance student well-being and advance the university’s mission.
Student Government Association’s Student Inclusive Campus Committee
The Student Government Association’s Student Inclusive Campus Committee promotes an inclusive campus for students to express their authentic selves. The committee regularly meets with student organizations that promote an inclusive community; helps to plan events, speakers, informational tables and other initiatives that support inclusivity on Elon’s campus; and writes legislation with the goal of making SGA and Elon more inclusive.
Led by alumni and supported by the Office of Alumni Engagement, Elon’s affinity networks unite and represent the interests of alumni who share common identities and connections, promote an inclusive environment and help raise financial resources for the university’s efforts. Networks are created as other affinity groups organize.
- Elon Black Alumni Network
- Elon Latinx/Hispanic Alumni Network
- Elon LGBTQIA Alumni Network
- Elon Jewish Alumni Network
Recruiting a diverse student population is a key part of Elon’s efforts to make the university a more inclusive and culturally skilled community. The Office of Admissions has a number of initiatives geared toward diversity and inclusion:
- Elon has a multitude of resources available to guide international students through the admissions process and support them throughout their Elon experience. Students come to Elon from 58 nations, gaining an experience at a top-ranked American university and adding to the cultural diversity on campus.
- While all tour guides discuss the importance of diversity, inclusion and diversity resources on campus with prospective students and families, Diversity Ambassadors have a particular passion for diversity recruitment and a desire to help lead others in the areas of education and advocacy.
- Phoenix Fusion is a two-day diversity and inclusion-focused event during which admitted students can attend a class, eat in a dining hall and spend the night in a residence hall.
- Elon requires all incoming students to complete three online education programs including DiversityEdu, which features information about university diversity and inclusion efforts and offers information about support resources and opportunities for developing cultural competency.
The Athletics Diversity Committee collects information about the student-athlete experience and fosters dialogue that promotes an inclusive environment for all student-athletes. The committee also identifies opportunities for furthering intercultural competencies for both students and staff.
Elon is ranked the number one doctoral university in the nation for study abroad by the Institute of International Education and Princeton Review. In order to make sure those transformational opportunities are open to student-athletes, Elon organizes and funds team global study courses, combining learning experiences with competition in countries around the world.
Graduate and Professional Schools
The School of Health Sciences supports the Student Diversity Committee that actively fosters open engagement within the school’s program regarding diversity and inclusion. The committee promotes inclusive connections among students, faculty and staff within all learning, service and social spaces.
At the School of Law, student groups such as the Black Law Students Association, Hispanic and Latinx Law Students Association, OutLaw and Women’s Law Association create a sense of belonging. The faculty and staff work collaboratively with the student-led Community Inclusion Committee to guide initiatives such as speakers, common readings and trainings. Students founded the Alliance of Legal Pioneers & Supporters to ease the transition to law school for students who may be the first in their family to pursue a professional degree in law.
Elon History and Memory
The Committee on Elon History and Memory explores questions related to historical memory and collective identity at Elon University. The committee is charged with examining the university’s institutional history in a transparent, participatory and intellectually rigorous manner, and guaranteeing that we tell Elon’s story in a manner consistent with Elon’s values.