Alamance Youth Leadership Academy
Summer Virtual Institute
July 13th – July 17th, 2020
We are excited that students will be joining us for the AYLA Summer Institue, virtually! We have a great week of speakers, activities, and more planned for the participants.
Check out some important information about the week’s program:
- 5:00 PM | Group A: Clover Garden School, The Burlington School, Southern Middle, Hawfields Middle, & Broadview Middle Schools
- 6:15 PM | Group B: Blessed Sacrament School, Western Middle, Graham Middle, Woodlawn Middle, & Turrentine Middle Schools
Virtual Platform: ZOOM
- Families of participants and AYLA Chapter Advisors will receive an email with login and password information.
- Please log in at the time of your school’s listing
- Workshops will be an hour-long each
- If you are unable to make it to a workshop, no worries! We will be recording them and your student can view them at a later time.
- Any questions? Please contact: Melanie Bullock Harris, Director of the Center for Leadership, firstname.lastname@example.org
Day One | Monday, July 13th
Before the workshop: We will have student leaders from Elon joining us for a leadership panel discussion. Bring a question to the workshop! Think of something to ask one of our panelists (for example: What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned as a leader?)
- Welcome w/ Parents & Families (first 15 minutes)
- “How to LEAD” Leadership Panel with Elon Students
Day Two | Tuesday, July 14th
Before the workshop: Watch “How To Change The World (a work in progress)” by Kid President on YouTube
- “How to LEAD & Serve” featuring Grace Johnston, AYLA Student Director & Gerald Harris, Co-Director of Tall Grass Food Box
Day Three | Wednesday, July 15th
Before the workshop: Reserve 30 minutes for a wellness activity of your choosing (walking, reading a book, breathing exercise, or more!)
- “How to LEAD Well” featuring Jack Taylor, Elon’s Phoenix Flops Leadership Team
Day Four | Thursday, July 16th
Before the workshop: Bring a piece of paper, pencil/pen, and an idea of something you would like to change at your school (for example: Creating a “Teacher Appreciation Day”)
- “How to LEAD Change” School small group discussions
Day Five | Friday, July 16th
Before the workshop: Help us make a superhero playlist! Find two songs that inspire you to lead and motivate you to change the world.
- Keynote Speaker & Program Closing