Alamance Youth Leadership Academy
Summer Virtual Institute
June 15th – 17th, 2021
We are excited that students will be joining us for the AYLA Summer Institue, virtually! We have a great week of speakers, activities, and more planned for the participants.
Check out some important information about the week’s program:
- 4:00 PM | Group A: Clover Garden School, The Burlington School, Southern Middle, Hawfields Middle, and Broadview Middle Schools
- 5:45 PM | Group B: Western Middle, Graham Middle, Woodlawn Middle, and Turrentine Middle Schools
Virtual Platform: ZOOM
- Families of participants and AYLA Chapter Advisors will receive an email with login and password information.
- Please log in at the time of your school’s listing
- Workshops will be an hour and a half long each
- If you are unable to make it to a workshop, no worries! We will be recording them and your student can view them at a later time.
- Any questions? Please contact: Melanie Bullock Harris, Director of the Center for Leadership, firstname.lastname@example.org
Day One | Tuesday, June 15th
Before the workshop: We will have the team from Elon Challenge join us for our kick-off workshop. Elon Challenge helps people work together to overcome obstacles and experience success in a variety of problem-solving initiatives. To prepare for the session, think about your personal definition of leadership!
- Welcome w/ Parents & Families (first 15 minutes)
- “How to LEAD” Leadership Activities with Elon Challenge
Day Two | Wednesday, June 16th
Before the workshop: Watch “How To Change The World (a work in progress)” by Kid President on YouTube. Think about … if you could change the world, what would you do? If you could change something at your school, what would you want to change? Bring a piece of paper, pencil/pen, and an idea of something you would like to change at your school (for example: Creating a “Teacher Appreciation Day”)
- “How to LEAD & Serve”
Day Three | Thursday, June 17th
Before the workshop: Reserve 30 minutes for a wellness activity of your choosing (walking, reading a book, breathing exercise, or more!) Also… Help us make a superhero playlist! Find two songs that inspire you to lead and motivate you to change the world.
- “How to LEAD Well” and the YAYLA for AYLA Closing Celebration
Additional Leadership Fun & Resources
Check out our Superhero Playlist on Spotify: