Updated Feb. 1, 2021 — Under construction, check back for updates, and send questions and suggestions to Shannan Bowen.
NC’s local news landscape
- Learning From North Carolina (PDF): 2017 report by Fiona Morgan exploring the state’s news ecosystem, produced for Democracy Fund.
- North Carolina state profile in The Expanding News Desert, Penelope Muse Abernathy, UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media
- NC Press Association member directory. mapped (downloadable in PDF form)
- NC Association of Broadcasters searchable directory
- Black media in North Carolina, from the 2020 national database / mapping project at the Center for Community Media, Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, CUNY
- NC Latino Media Directory, NC Local News Workshop, 2020 (Send corrections/ additions to email@example.com)
- State of Latino News Media location map (national database, NC ranks fifth), Center for Community Media, Newmark School at CUNY, 2019
From the Workshop
- NC Local News Summit Big Resource Document: Topical resources for diverse collaborations, trust-building, information needs, local news startups, and more, shared during the NC Local News Summit, Jan. 13, 2021
- Answer Bank: On-demand resources responsive to news cycles. Most recent: Election 2020
- Covering the Census for North Carolina: Resources from June 2, 2021, Zoom session. View the recording – Download recommended, link expires Aug. 2, 2021. Find resource materials here.