Residence Life will create new social norms for living on campus, with educational programs and agreements for residential students based on each unique living arrangement. Students living on-campus will be required to commit to high standards of personal behavior and hygiene to protect themselves and other members of their living community. Different measures will be required in various campus residential neighborhoods, depending on the configuration of the traditional residence halls, apartments, townhouses, flats and chapter houses.
Changes to the following residential policies will be in effect in the fall in an effort to keep students and our communities safe:
- Residential visitation policy: No overnight guests will be allowed. This includes guests from within the campus community and those not living on campus.
- Room change process: No room changes for fall 2020 will be allowed. Students who have problems with their room assignment are encouraged to reach out to their neighborhood community director to discuss other options.
- Roommate agreement process enhancements: Roommates are being encouraged to undertake intentional conversations around topics including visitors, food sharing, hygiene and other aspects of community living.
- Healthy habits: There will be increased awareness regarding hand-washing and personal hygiene, as well as laundry and cleaning in the residence halls.
- Face coverings in common areas: While students are not required to wear masks in their own rooms, face coverings are expected in other indoor locations including common areas and the hallways of residence halls, per the university face covering policy.
- Social distancing and capacity limits: Furniture in many common spaces in residence halls have been rearranged and capacity limits adjusted to promote social distancing. Current state requirements set the maximum capacity indoors at 10 people.
- Additional cleaning measures: The Office of Residence Life and Physical Plant are working together to help ensure and promote cleanliness. All students will also be responsible for cleaning their own living spaces regularly.
- Dedicated isolation spaces: In the event that a student needs to be isolated or quarantined due to COVID-19, Elon has dedicated space on campus and off campus to accommodate that need. More details about the quarantine, isolation, testing and tracing protocols can be found here.
In order to increase physical distancing, Residence Life will develop strategies to reduce the population of some residence halls where possible. Additional off-campus apartments and hotels may be included as housing options.
Floor, Roommate and Suitemate Agreements
Live-in staff and student staff will build upon the existing practice of roommate agreements and community standards to facilitate mutual understanding. Emphasis will be placed on adherence to guidelines related to visitors, cleaning practices, food sharing and honest communication when concerns arise. These agreements will serve as extensions of the larger shared responsibility and Honor Code commitments across campus.
Health & Safety Checks
Professional and student staff will establish and communicate procedures for maintaining contact with residents through physical distanced, virtual or electronic means. The schedule of room inspections will be modified, with more open and regular conversation occurring regarding shared responsibility of residents for adhering to approved guidelines.
Following shared responsibility expectations, common spaces will be altered, and residents will be expected to follow approved guidelines for cleaning, wearing of masks, refraining from large events, etc.
Facilities, Cleaning, & Isolation Planning
Facilities, cleaning, and isolation planning will be altered to lower risk of exposure and promote the health and safety of all residents.
Physical Plant will work in partnership with residents to increase cleaning and disinfecting in residential buildings. Physical Plant will clean common area restrooms once daily and disinfect high-touch areas three times daily, seven days a week.