University residence halls (not apartments) will close during the following periods for the 2022-2023 academic year:

  • Thanksgiving Break
  • Winter Break (the break between fall and winter semesters)
  • Spring Break

Students in residence halls who need to stay late or return early for any portion of the break(s), must complete a request. The break housing applications can be found in Self Service under Applications and Forms. Please note that all requests may not be approved and students in university apartments do not need to complete this request unless you are requesting to stay past May 31, when your lease ends. Once you submit your request, you will receive an answer within two business days to your Elon e-mail account. 

Break Residence Halls Close Residence Halls Reopen Request Due
Thanksgiving Break November 19 10 a.m. November 27 10 a.m. November 10
End of Fall Semester December 10 10 a.m. January 1 10 a.m. December 2
Spring Break March 11 10 a.m. March 19 10 a.m. March 3
End of Year May 17 10 a.m. N/A May 5
  • Most dining facilities will not be open during break periods. Please check the dining services website for hours of operation.
  • You may be in a building without other students so be mindful of your surroundings and take steps to ensure your safety.
  • You are still bound to follow all university policies and any actions violating these policies will be reviewed by the student conduct office.
  • Guests (including other university students) are not permitted in the residence halls, under any circumstances, during break periods.
  • The university also reserves the right to assess charges and assess break fees against students who enter residential areas without permission during break periods.
  • Please be advised that during break periods, is the university’s time to do routine maintenance and therefore facilities management staff may be in and around the buildings while you are there.
  • Student staff and residence life professional staff will not be available during this time so if you need assistance please call campus safety and police at 336-278-5555 OR if it is an emergency call 911 immediately for assistance.

If you have questions, please contact Residence Life at or 336-278-7300.