Leaders in Collaborative Service (LINCS)

Over time, some of our community partnerships have resulted in a reciprocal relationship between the Kernodle Center and the agency, strengthening our service-learning practice and offering many student volunteer opportunities.

Student LINCS are Leaders in Collaborative Service. These students serve in leadership and supportive capacities within each organization. Selected by the community partner, students recruit, coordinate, and guide volunteers and academic service-learning students. Contact each LINCS below for more information.

Alamance Community College

Work with students on many different goals, including learning to read, improving math skills, learning to speak English, earning a high school equivalency, improving computer skills, studying for the US citizenship test, training for a better job, and preparing for college. Students will tutor differently-abled people and other college-age students enrolled in ACC classes.  Contact acc@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Allied Churches

Works to meet basic needs of the lonely, hungry and homeless while challenging and empowering them to become self-sufficient. Allied Churches is a three-tiered organization that includes an Emergency Night Shelter, Good Shepherd Kitchen and Christian Assistant Network. Students may get involved with the shelter, work in the office, serve or make food in the kitchen, or join the weekly milk drive. Contact alliedchurches@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Burlington Housing Authority

Directs all federal housing projects in the City of Burlington. Students may volunteer in afterschool enrichment programs for children and the “Transition for Manhood” program for young boys. Contact bha@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Family Abuse Services

FAS provides a variety of services to victims of domestic violence in Alamance County. Depending on student availability, interest, and academic requirements, students are able to choose which FAS program(s) they would like to work with (i.e., Court Advocacy, Community Education, Shelter, Supervised Visitation, Support Group, Hispanic Outreach, etc.), and/or are able to design and facilitate projects that fit within the agency’s Mission. Contact fas@elon.edu for more information or visit the agency’s website.

Kopper Top Life Learning Center

Provides equestrian therapy and other educational experiences to people with disabilities. Service learners involved with Kopper Top generally have minimal contact with clients, unless scheduling arrangements are made for such opportunities. Service experiences include interaction with the center staff and learn how a nonprofit operates. Students also participate in caring for and feeding the animals used in therapy (cats, dogs, horses and other farm animals). Contact koppertop@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Salvation Army Food Pantry

Feeds the hungry in our area. Students working here should expect to make food bags, stock shelves and take in and make deliveries. Contact salvationarmy@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Positive Attitude Youth Center

Helps children mature physically, emotionally and spiritually by offering tutoring, recreational activities and events for the entire family. Service experiences center around tutoring a variety to students that include children from low-income families, who are involved in family court proceedings, who are homeless, or who have been abused. Other center referrals are from the school system for students who need extra tutorial assistance. Contact payc@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.

Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club

Enables youths, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to reach their full potential as responsible and caring citizens. Service experiences are centered around tutoring children, working with children in a recreational environment and offering mentoring relationships to meet individual needs. Contact bgc@elon.edu for more information or view the agency’s website.