Dear Academic Service Learning Faculty Members,
We’re delighted you will be working with the Kernodle Center to help facilitate the Academic Service-Learning portion of your course this term. Before proceeding please make sure you have contacted our Assistant Director of Community Partnerships at email@example.com to have your course loaded to the CourseLink system so that your student placements with community partner agencies run smoothly.
The resources below will help as you plan for your course and prepare your students for service.
- A Powerpoint presentation about the importance of Academic Service-Learning and instructions on how students can access the database to select their partners. You can customize the presentation for your course.
- Resources to learn more about Alamance County (history, demographics, etc).
- A short introduction video to Academic Service Learning at Elon.
- Sheet entitled, “Faculty Guidelines for Student Placement” explains how you can place your students with a community partner once they have made their choices on-line using our database system.
- Validation timesheets for each student to record their service hours. They should turn the timesheets in to the faculty member and then the faculty member will send them back to our office in an envelope so we can record their hours of service.
- Downtown East Burlington Biobus Express Route for students who choose to ride the bus to their volunteer site.
- Protection of minors and background check information required for many of our service sites.
- ASL Faculty Handbook provides more in-depth information about ASL course design, best practices, insights and resources in the field of Academic Service Learning.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We appreciate your willingness to work with us as we accommodate the needs of a growing program.
Mary Morrison, Director
Kernodle Center for Service Learning and Community Engagement