Dear Academic Service Learning Faculty Members,
We’re delighted you will be working with the Kernodle Center to help facilitate the Academic Service-Learning portion of your course this term. Before proceeding please make sure you have contacted our Assistant Director of Community Partnerships at email@example.com to have your course loaded to the CourseLink system so that your student placements with community partner agencies run smoothly.
The resources below will help as you plan for your course and prepare your students for service.
- A Powerpoint presentation about the importance of Academic Service-Learning and instructions on how students can access the database to select their partners. You can customize the presentation for your course.
- View our Volunteer Expectations Agreement for students to review before entering the community.
- Resources to learn more about Alamance County (history, demographics, etc).
- Social issue guides with ideas for how to engage in some of social issues relevant to our community. These guides include information about the identified issues, opportunities for involvement, and potential reflection classes that you can utilize for your class.
- A short introduction video to Academic Service Learning at Elon.
- Sheet entitled, “Faculty Guidelines for Student Placement” explains how you can place your students with a community partner once they have made their choices on-line using our database system.
- Students will be responsible for recording their service hours and impact on the Phoenix Serve platform. The platform can be accessed by clicking here and logging in with your Elon user name and password.
- Community partners at student placement sites have the ability to confirm directly with students and verify their service hours.
- Validated service hours include all time spent on preparation, action, reflection, and evaluating both in and out of the classroom with community partners. Validated service can include direct or indirect service.
- Click here to access our student guide for entering hours and impact on Phoenix Serve and pass on directly to students in your course.
- For more information about how to utilize the platform, review the Phoenix Serve Faculty Class Management Guide and/or watch our training video by clicking here.
- Protection of minors and background check information required for many of our service sites.
- ASL Faculty Handbook provides more in-depth information about ASL course design, best practices, insights and resources in the field of Academic Service Learning.
- Before you connect with your partners, please help us insure that all community organizations partnering with your course have signed off on the partners link here for the Healthy Elon pledge.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We appreciate your willingness to work with us as we accommodate the needs of a growing program.
Mary Morrison, Director
Kernodle Center for Civic Life